Sour Dough Starter Recipe

I need a recipe for sour dough starter. I had a starter that used potatoes, the dough set out for eight hours, then the rolls had to rise for about that long. I think the starter used yeast and potatoes. I have a problem getting my starter to grow. It wants to just sit there.

Sour Dough Starter Recipe

Here is the recipe that my mother-in-law gave me. I hope it works for you. It doesn't use potatoes.

• 2 cups flour
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 cups warm water

Mix together and let stand at room temperature for two days. Stir twice a day as the mixture tends to separate. Refrigerate covered.

Feed dough when it gets to less than 2 cups, as most recipes call for 1 cup and you have to have at least 1 cup to feed.

To feed dough:

• 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup sugar

When the dough is activated (bubbles), stir and return to refrigerator.

By Darlene

Sour Dough Starter Recipe

Be sure to leave your sourdough starter mix in a glass container, such as a canning jar and not in
a metal container.

By Geri in KY

Sour Dough Starter Recipe

Sour Dough Starter
Printed from

• 2 c. lukewarm water
  • 2 c. flour
  • 1 tbsp. sugar

First make potato water by cutting up two medium sized potatoes into cubes and boil in three cups of water until tender. Remove the potatoes and measure out 2 cups of remaining liquid. Mix the potato water, flour, and sugar into a smooth paste. Set in a warm place until starter mixture rises to double its original size.

Sour Dough Biscuits:

• 1 c. sour dough starter
  • 1 1/4 tsp. each of salt, sugar, and soda
  • 1 tbsp. shortening
  • 3-4 c. sifted flour

Place flour in large bowl, make a well in the center and add sour dough starter (above). Stir in salt, soda, and sugar and add shortening. Gradually mix in enough flour to make a stiff dough. Pinch off dough for one biscuit at a time. Form a ball and roll it in melted shortening. Crowd biscuits in a round 8 inch cake pan and allow to rise in a warm place for 20 to 30 minutes before baking. Bake at 425 degrees F until done.

By dsbaby14

Sour Dough Starter Recipe

Here is the recipe for starter I have used for years.

• 2 cups warm water
  • 1 pkg yeast
  • 2 cups flour

Put ingredients into a 4-6 quart plastic or glass container and mix well. Use wood or plastic spoon. Cover, but vent slightly. (Do not seal). Let set 6 hours or overnight in warm place, approximately 85 degrees. Dough will ferment and increase in size.

Use 1 cup for making bread and store remainder in fridge. Feed the starter weekly.
To feed starter, to at least one cup starter, add:

• 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 cup flour
  • 3 Tbsp instant dry potato
  • 1 cup warm water

Cover and let set in warm place overnight and is ready to use. Store remaining starter in fridge.

Hope this helps

Elles from AR (10/26/2004)

By Elles

sourdough starter
Sourdough Starter Recipes
A yeast free cheese pizza.
No Yeast Pizza Dough Recipes
Man Kneading Pizza Dough
Freezing Pizza Dough
Rollong pin on round of pizza dough.
Biscuit Pizza Dough Recipes
fresh delicious sour cream
Homemade Sour Cream Recipes