Spanish Rice

There are a lot of quick and easy recipes for Spanish Rice, but last night I was in a hurry, and had to improvise quite a bit. This is what I came up with.

• 1/2 small onion, chopped
  • 2 Tbsp. oil
  • 2 pouches boil-in-bag brown rice
  • 1 (14 oz.) can chicken broth
  • 1 can water (refill broth can)
  • garlic powder, to taste
  • ground cumin, to taste
  • 1 cup chopped cherry or grape tomatoes

In a three quart saucepan, saute the onion in oil until soft. Open the pouches of rice and add to the saucepan, saute briefly to coat rice with oil, and toast slightly.

Add the can of broth to the pan, along with the garlic powder and ground cumin. Stir in the chopped tomatoes.
Simmer, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes, adding water as needed. You may need a little more than the full can of water.

The original recipe I based this on called for 2 tablespoons of chopped onion, a chopped clove of garlic, 1 cup of long grain rice, 2 1/2 cups of chicken or vegetable broth, and 1 cup of chopped canned or fresh tomatoes.

With what I had on hand, I had to make some substitutions, but it worked out well. From a starting idea with a box of frozen chimichangas, I made this rice, heated a can of corn, made a simple lettuce and tomato salad, and instant (fat-free and sugar-free) pudding for dessert. A simple meal, put together while the chimichangas were baking.

Servings: 4
Time:5 Minutes Preparation Time
25 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: Improvisation, starting from a base of several similar recipes.

By Susan from South Carolina

Plate of Spanish rice with enchiladas.
Spanish Rice Recipes
Dirty Rice
Dirty Rice Recipes
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Side of Spanish rice.
Making Spanish Rice in the Rice Cooker
A plate of cooked brown rice.
Cooking Brown Rice in a Rice Cooker