Spending Less Time on the Computer

It is easy to lose track of time when working or playing on your computer. This is a guide about spending less time on the computer.

August 26, 2014 Flag

What would you do with an extra 15.2 days a year?

That is longer than most vacations. You could drive across the USA and back and still have time to see the Grand Canyon. You could donate your time to a charity. You could take a cruise. You could build a tiny home and move in. You could learn a new language. You could________________fill in the blanks.

So where is all this time coming from, you might ask? You barely have time to breath or fix dinner but now you have over 2 weeks to do all this wonderful stuff! Seriously?

Well, I am about to find out. And the simple thing I am doing to find this much time is to spend 1 hour a day off Facebook (and other social media). Just do this 365 hours or 15.2 days will release me for so many things I can't find the time to do now.

Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy the concept and the kitty videos and keeping up with friends and family. Sharing lost and missing children, dog and cat rescues and all things emotional is rewarding when I can help. I love swapping recipes and bragging about contests I have won here, at the Fair, and more. Seeing kids grow up too fast and finding old friends can make me feel connected like nothing else can.

But there is a side to this social media that can be taxing, wearing one down until our backs and eyes hurt. And then, there are the times when you want to be connected to those around you and you get lost in the myriad of chatter and other things take the place of important posts. This just happened to me. And it's happened before.

The excuse is everyone is busy. But not too busy to post about someone's this or someone else's that. A popular band in the 70's said "The things that pass for useless I can't understand".

So, I spent about an hour each day posting things that few people saw, even fewer commented on or liked. When my big post was ignored, it hit me how much time and effort I spent doing something that was basically a waste of time. Well, those days are over.

So, for my 15.2 days, I am going to write more, volunteer, play with the critters, paint the kitchen, make preemie hats and blankets, make some cooking videos, and take walks.

What would you do with yours?

Source: Nope, just organized thoughts from an untidy mind.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I agree that FB is a big time waster, but rather than hear about what you plan on doing, I would much rather hear about what you did after the year is over.

October 13, 2014 Flag

Many studies now show that sitting is as bad a health risk as smoking! Sometimes you have to sit so I keep a kitchen timer on my desk to stand up every 20 minutes and move around.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 6, 2009 Flag

This tip is about not wasting time on your computer. I found once I got my own computer just how easy it was to waste an entire day on my computer and not get anything else done.

Now I set the kitchen timer for how ever long I want to spend time on my computer and when it goes off, I get up and leave to do other things; such as housework, take a walk, work outside (weather permitting), or whatever else needs to get done that day.

I don't go beyond what the timer was set for, as I actually leave the timer in my kitchen (it is loud enough to hear in my bedroom). So I have to get up from the computer table, go out into the kitchen and shut it off.

I usually set the timer for two hours, thus giving me time to check and respond to my emails if I need to, do a little internet surfing, and even play a couple of games. The only time I might go over the two hours is when I am working on my poetry; writing and rewriting. Then I do three hours.

I have found that using my timer saves me possibly wasting all day on the computer. Doing this makes my time more enjoyable on the computer and I still get my day done.

By ladydragonfly from White City, OR

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It all sounds so familiar! My elder child would spend every breathing second online gaming World of Warcraft and watching YouTube video, if we would not limit his time spent online. I personally find it difficult to enforce time limits, however, because when the kids are on the computer I get quiet time to myself. And when I have tried to enforce limits (usually using the kitchen timer) they ignore the timer or put up a fight when I tell them their time is over. I built a simple timer program that lets me set time limits (like 1 hour/weekday and no more than 30 minutes at one sitting). The program gives the kids audible reminders like "David, your time is over" and logs them off when their time is up. It has ended all the fighting over computer time in our house, and I don't have to nag them anymore. If anyone has the same problem, you can try Ez Internet Timer (http://www.internettimer.net). It really helps me.

November 8, 2006 Flag

Avoid sitting in front of your computer for more than 30 minutes at a time. If you find you lose track of time, set a timer to go off in 30 minutes.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Computers TipsOctober 31, 2012
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a Computer Screen
Cleaning a Laptop Keyboard, Photo of a laptop keyboard.
Laptop Computer Tips and Tricks
A stack of CDs or DVDs
Saving Money On Computer Software
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2017 at 3:48:41 AM on 10.0.1.29 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.