Spilt Sour Milk Smell in Car

How can I remove the strong odor of spilt milk from the carpet on the floor of the car? I have tried some products without success, and the smell is just getting worse

Tom Carlin

Answers:

Enzyme Cleaner

Try saturating the area with an enzyme cleaner used for pet accidents. Buy it in a pet-store. The enzymes sort of "eat up" the organic matter. (11/06/2004)

By lindal

Bicarbonate of Soda

My little girl spilt milk on her mattress.I got the smell out by scrubbing it with washing up liquid and water then covering it with a thick layer of bicarbonate of soda while it was still damp. I left it for 24 hours, hoovered it up dampened it again then repeated the bicarb. I did this for three days. The smell vanished! (04/19/2005)

By Becci

Alcohol

I don't know how often this gets updated but anyways, yes is a awful smell, O tried everything, steam, 2 cans of carpet cleaner, nothing.

I used common biology 101 sense, milk stinks because bacteria is there decomposing, aka your own darn cheese factory under the carpet, so what I just did is soak that thing in alcohol since it won't bleach the fabric (hopefully) and will kill the bacteria, so far it is working. I just hope that when it dries it is not a whole different story. (11/22/2005)

By Rob

Activated Charcoal

Try activated charcoal that is used for fish tanks. put it in socks or spread in the car and let it sit a couple of days then vacuum. (11/28/2005)

By teresa

Steam Cleaner

My nephew spilt a large cup of cappuccino in the back of the car. PEW after a couple months. I had to rent a steam cleaner. It worked! (12/02/2005)

By Debbie

So Far So Good

4 days ago my son spilt milk on his bedroom carpet, got as much up as I could with a towel and sprayed loads of mr muscle kitchen cleaner and mr muscle multi task as it was only thing i could find quickly and scrubbed with a cloth... not even had a slight whiff of milk at all, so far so good (05/22/2006)

By jo

Underlay and Ozone

I had to pull the underlay from my truck and replace it. Also as soon as that was done I went to my local car detail shop and had them put an "ozone machine" in my truck for two hours. This will deplete the car of all oxygen and any odors. It worked miracles, although it takes a couple of days for the ozone smell to leave. (07/06/2006)

By Guest