Spraying Cat

My persian has just started spraying on the furniture, the fridge and occasionally a sofa. What can I do to stop this? He is ten years old and has never done this sort of thing before.

Ginty From Scotland

Spraying Cat

Is your cat neutered ? Spraying is typically a behavior of intact males. A sudden outburst of it could caused by an in-season female, or another intact male in the area. Stress can also be a factor. Marking their territory is comforting to cats. Any major household changes ?

Neutering may be in order. If not that, I would suggest a trip to the vet for a urinalysis to rule out bladder infections, crystals, etc - very common in older male cats.

If medical conditions are ruled out, you can look at his environment. Has the litter box been moved ? Have you changed the type of litter he uses ? Any changes at all can throw an older cat off.

As a last result, I have had good results confining a cat to a small area where the only comfortable place to 'go' is the litter box. This can be a small bathroom, or in more extreme cases a large dog crate works well. At first you may not even be able to give him any bedding. The most appealing place to go, should be his box. After he is consistently using the box again for at least a few days or as long as a week - release him from the box but leave it accessible as well as his additional litter boxes.

Make sure to also clean all his marked areas with an enzymatic cleaner. I use Nature's Miracle. Its pricier than making a home cleaner, but it is the only thing I have found that actually works.

Good Luck! (08/04/2005)

By Sarah

Spraying Cat

My neutered male cat did this when he developed cystitis, a urinary tract disorder. This can be life threatening so it would be a very good idea to take this problem to your local vet and have it eliminated as a possible cause. (08/05/2005)

Spraying Cat

Your persian might have a urinary tract infection. Change his diet to a specialty diet to prevent this!

Remove the odor from the places he has sprayed!

If it is behavioral, it is hard to change. Give your cat an extra litter box -- your cat will love the attention. Groom your cat everyday for more attention. A content cat might not spray. I have six cats, and right now, I am fortunate in that there is someone who can groom and brush them each day. (08/05/2005)

Spraying Cat

Take him to the vet immediately! Crystals in the urine of a male cat is fatal if not treated. (08/06/2005)

By Maryeileen

Spraying Cat
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
Spraying cat
Getting a Cat to Stop Spraying Inside
A cat door installed in an old door.
Teaching a Cat to Use a Cat Door
Windshield Washers Not Spraying
Windshield Washers Not Spraying