Spreading Black Spots on Shower Door Mirror

My shower door, which is also a mirror, has a black stain that is growing. It started out about 1 inch X 4 inches, and in about 6 months, spread to about 12 X 12 inches.

I realize it can't be fixed, but is there some way it could be stopped from spreading any more? I am very near sighted and need to stand close to the mirror to do my makeup. The mirror over the sink is too far away for me to use without glasses.

I'd like to stop the spreading if it is possible. Would just resealing it all around do any good?

By Ilsa T

Mirrors are "silvered" on the back to make them reflective. In time the silvering deteriorates. I cant tell you how to repair it, but if you google re-silvering my mirror I bet you find someone who can. Good luck!

I think it would be less expensive to replace the mirror than have someone resilver the mirror.

Hi, Everyone! I came across this forum while I was surfing re mirrors. Ironically, only yesterday I placed an order with Amazon.com for a spray product by Krylon (Krylon #9033 Looking Glass Mirror-Like Paint) which is supposed to enable an ordinary piece of glass to be turned into a mirror by simply spraying the glass after proper cleaning. Apparently, this product is not simply a shiny or chrome paint. Reviews were consistently marvelous.

I do not believe this product will solve the root problem of a mirror being continuously subjected to moisture. However, I think it might help in other situations. I hope to incorporate Krylon's product into my art.

Here is the direct page via the Krylon URL

http://www.kryl  irror_like_paint

I also loved the projects pages for their products.

Will update you after I give Krylon Looking Glass a try!

http://www.kryl  ing-glass-paint/ Link moved to new page. Even if this improves the look of the areas that are fading off the back of my bathroom medicine cabinet doors it will be worth it, I think.