AdviceHealth & Beauty

Squatty Potty on the Cheap

Vote for this contest contender!

The Squatty Potty is a type of footstool you place on the floor in front of your toilet, helping you to lift your legs. This results in a squatting-type position to help ease strain when moving bowels. Although quite helpful for many people, the price can be a bit steep, running anywhere from $20 to $100. You can use any standard footstool to aid you in this process as you are to be lifting your legs, not standing on the actual stool. Here, I have a $5 step stool for both feet, and a smaller dollar version in red. You can use the red type by itself or one for each foot. These work just as great as the expensive versions.

I did read something years ago written by anthropologists(?) who claimed many benefits from the squatting position and said due to Human's unique anatomy, is is/should be the best and most natural position.

The stool seems to be a good idea in that it helps approximate that position. Another feather in your cap, Miz Toosa!

Yes, indeed! When my father was a wee little one, his first house had more of "holes in the floor" type toilets. Switching to what's now the common toilet was super weird, I hear. I think these cheap versions are awesome!