Squeaky Brakes

I picked up my 2007 Caliber this morning and as soon as I got home the brakes started squeaking quite loud. This really makes no sense to me because they were okay during my test drive and on my way home.

They started squeaking later in the day after driving through a patch of snow. Is that normal? Does than mean the brakes are bad? Please help.

Beata

Answers:

Squeaky Brakes

If, by chance, they are the original brake pads, it is probably a normal sound. GM uses semi-metallic brake pads in their cars. Which means, the pads have a very high metal content. The pro is the pads wear very well, the con is they are very noisy. If the pads were wet/damp/moist, they will make noise then also. As others have said, have them checked to be sure. I worked for a GM dealer and this is something I saw several times a week. (04/01/2008)

By youngster8

Squeaky Brakes

The brakes come with a protective varnish on them to stop them from rusting while they sit on the shelf. It takes a few weeks for this to rub off from use. Once it does, it won't squeak anymore. It was most likely from the brakes getting moisture on them from the snow. (04/02/2008)

By denise w

Squeaky Brakes

Almost all brake squeals in disc brakes comes from brake pad vibration against the caliper. To stop this, the friction clips and the areas of the pad that make contact with the caliper need to be thoroughly cleaned and degreased with brake parts cleaner and lubricated with dielectric grease, caliper lube, or anti seize compound (Any of them will work). Brakes don't squeal because of the pad coming in contact with the rotor unless the rotor is just totally shot and wore out with lots of glaze on it. (07/27/2008)