Squirrel Repellents

My parents have a problem with squirrels. They are always in the backyard as the neighbors feed them peanuts. The squirrels are digging big holes in their hanging flower pots. They have tried cayenne pepper but have had only limited success. Does anyone have any other homemade remedies that might solve the problem?

Carol from London, Ontario

Answers:

Squirrel Repellents

Try putting old CD's or DVD's on the top of the plant's wire. Be sure to put the shiny side up. (07/12/2007)

By Kristy

Squirrel Repellents

I would use humane traps and re-move them to the forest. (07/12/2007)

By kimhis

Squirrel Repellents

I read someplace a little while ago that to stop the digging in the flower pots, get a bunch of inexpensive wooden skewers (that you would shish-kabob with) and stick them down into the dirt all around the pot. This will stop the digging because it makes the squirrels uncomfortable. (07/12/2007)

By Tracey

Squirrel Repellents

Have not tried this myself, but others swear by it. Hit the local "party store" and buy a couple of inexpensive strobe lights and run them continuously for 24 - 48 hours. All reports have it that the squirrels go elsewhere within a day. This is also a tried and effective trick to chase squirrels out of attics and other places you'd rather not have them. (07/12/2007)

By FANCYPANTS

Squirrel Repellents

Not sure is this is feasible for hanging plants, but...

I had a squirrel digging in the flower pots that sit on my front porch. I actually had an oak sapling sprout in one! I had some decorative rocks (bigger than gravel but still small) that I had used as ground cover elsewhere. I put one layer of those rocks on top of the bare soil in the pot. Now the squirrels leave it alone. (I like the little buggers and don't want to drive them away completely.) (07/12/2007)

By chretienne

Squirrel Repellents

Hello, My Mother-in-law used Moth-Balls when we had our cabin near the river. She packed the Moth-Balls in dresser drawers to keep them out and anything else that might like to use our cabin for their winter home. It worked, they were never in. She places them under her home to keep out bugs and rats, mice, things that like to hide for baby time in spring weather. She has no unwelcome guests, either. Hope this can help you, it does her. (07/12/2007)

By Loretta Hansford

Squirrel Repellents

I had the same problem and I used the same remedy for rabbits in the garden, which is to sprinkle your hair trimmings in and around your plants. You can also go to a beauty shop and ask them for some hair clippings. (07/12/2007)

By Candy

Squirrel Repellents

Please do not use moth balls, they are poison! To every critter, 4 legged and 2 legged. Use some decorative rocks around the plants, we even do this in the yard, with plants, the little buggers leave them alone. (07/15/2007)

By Rosa

Squirrel Repellents

I have tried everything, and here is the 100% fix, to stop the squirrels from digging, etc. Get 2 lbs. of Serrano peppers. Put them in a blender with water and blend them to a liquid. You will have to do a few at a time, as 2 lbs. will not fit in a normal blender. After reducing them to a liquid, add them to 5 gallons of water. Now apply the water/pepper formula on the ground or in planter that you want left alone by the squirrels. (05/13/2008)

By Dan

Squirrel Repellents

I've tried sprays, lights, hanging flashy CD's, baits, traps. All have worked for a day or two. The only successful way I've found is Grand-kids. With them running around and playing this keeps the little furry tailed rodents up in the trees. It also helps if you show the kids how to use a BB Gun. After a weekend visit from the grand-kids, all I have to do is just shake the BB Gun and the squirrels run for the closest tree. (05/21/2008)

By Ken

Squirrel Repellents

I use bamboo skewers tightly spaced once the annuals/plants are in the planter. Another great idea is to place small containers (i.e. yogurt containers), slightly buried in the soil, with a rag soaked with ammonia inside. (07/12/2009)

By kimberly ann

Squirrel wrapped around feeder containing peanuts
Squirrel Repellents
Bees
Homemade Bee Repellents
Squirrel Feeder
Making a Squirrel Feeder
Photo of foodready to compost.
Mother Nature's Best Fertilizers and Bug Repellents
Homemade Insect Repellents
Homemade Natural Insect Repellents
🎄