Squirrels Eating from Bird Feeders

How do I keep squirrels from climbing my patio door screen to reach bird feeders? I know we could move the feeders, but then we wouldn't be able to watch the birds. These maddening little rodents are urinating on my glass door!

Hardiness Zone: 7b

Sue from Yorktown, VA

Squirrels Eating From Bird Feeders

To deter future feedings from the squirrels, put some cayenne pepper in the feeder with the birdseed. The birds cannot taste it as they have no taste buds, but the squirrels do have taste buds and they will stop coming soon enough. (09/18/2006)

By Chella

Squirrels Eating From Bird Feeders

Ditto on the cayenne pepper! I wish I had a video camera when I first used it (it's the only thing which has worked). The squirrel fell backwards on the grass and "army-crawled" to the deck, wiping his mouth on the grass. Then he dug a hole in the dirt and cooled his mouth in it! It was hysterical. He recovered fine and is content to eat the seeds that fall to the ground. NOTE: I normally use the 99 cent food (for a 4-pound bag) from Big Lots. I changed once to the food from Walmart (about the same price). Unfortunately, the pepper did not stick as well and back came the little critters. Once we switched back to the Big Lots brand, the squirrels are back on the ground. (09/19/2006)

Squirrels Eating From Bird Feeders

I have heard that if you put a Tablespoon of Oil of Peppermint & water in a spray bottle and spray it where you do not want squirrels to go that they will stay away, it's supposed to work for rats & mice also. Don't use peppermint extract or the squirrels will get drunk (that would be fun to see), but you're wanting them to stay away. You should be able to find the oil at a health food store. Maybe use the cayenne pepper too in the feeder. (09/25/2006)

By Becky

Squirrels Eating From Bird Feeders

I used the cayenne pepper, it was both effective and entertaining. (05/03/2007)

By April

Squirrel precariously reaching from a branch to a bird feeder
Keeping Squirrels Out of Your Bird Feeder
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
Squirrel Feeder
Making a Squirrel Feeder
Squirrel sitting.
Squirrels Eating Tomatoes
Squirrel Eating From Bird Feeder
Keeping Squirrels Away (Deterring Squirrels)