St. Patrick's Day Suncatchers
If you are looking for a fun craft to make for St. Patrick's day, give these a try. Then decorate your windows with them.
Total Time: 1.5 hours
- plastic pony beads
- cookie cutters
- cake pan
NOTE: I chose to buy a cake pan at the thrift store, instead of using one that I cook with. Just to be on the safe side.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Set your cookie cutters on the cookie sheet or pie tin. Arrange the beads in the cutters. Turn the beads on end in tight spaces, they will melt just fine on their sides. The less gaps you have, the less likely you will have holes in your shapes. Also, place individual yellow beads into the pan, with space between them. (These will melt into the coins that you will use later.)
- Once you have all of your cutters filled with beads, bake them in the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until all of the beads have melted and there are no gaps or holes. The longer you heat them, the smoother it will melt into the shape. NOTE: I highly recommend opening windows and turning on the hood fan, as there are some fumes when these are baking.
- For the pile of coins, put the cauldron cutter into the pan, then arrange the yellow coins along the top of the cutter. Heat in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until they have melted together.
- Remove from the oven and use something to push the cookie cutter towards the melted coins, to eliminate any gaps. Now you have a flat bottom to adhere it to the pot.
- Using E6000 glue, or a similar glue, attach the coins to the top of the pot. Follow the package instructions to ensure a secure bond.
Related Content(article continues below)
- Drill small holes in the suncatchers and attach fishing line to them. Hang them in your windows and enjoy!
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Guide
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on February 24, 2017 at 11:23:18 AM on 10.0.1.55 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us