Stains from Color From New Clothing Bleeding

I accidentally washed a pair of pink juicy sweatpants with a brand new blue skirt( that hadn't been washed before) and the blue bled onto my pink pants. Now, my pants are this bluish and pink color with a few little blue "splotches" on it. I've tried washing them again, and letting them soak, but nothing is getting any of that blue out. Any suggestions?

Kristin from Charlotte,NC

Answers:

Color Bleed Stains on Clothing

This might help...

Dye That Bleeds

Dye transfer is caused when unstable dye colors "bleed" from one fabric to another. Their removal is often difficult. To minimize problem, sort loads by color, and always remove clothes from washer as soon as rinse cycle is complete. Re-launder affected items right away with detergent and Clorox liquid bleach. If color remains (on all-white fabrics only) use a packaged color remover or stripper sold under the "Rit" label.

Source: http://www.textileaffairs.com/stains.htm (04/19/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Color Bleed Stains on Clothing

I use that Mrs. Stewart's (Something Stewart's) in a small blue bottle. You can buy it at Walmart or grocery stores by the laundry soap. Make sure to follow directions! It's needs to be diluted in the wash water, not applied directly as I did the first time I used it. It takes all the loose dye out and makes clothes brighter.

Editor's Note: I believe she's referring to Mrs. Stewarts Bluing.
http://www.mrsstewart.com/pages/msbframe.htm (04/19/2004)

By Jenny in WI.

Here's a last resort suggestion. I've had this problem before and haven't been able to get the dye stains out. I suggest dyeing the item either back to the original color if possible or if stains are a dark color you can salvage it by giving in and dying it the darker color. I don't do alot of dying of fabrics so I don't know if a pink dye would cover the blue. May have to dye it blue.

It won't be that pretty pink anymore :-( but at least you can still get some use of the item and all is not lost :-)

Just a thought. (10/08/2005)

By sdflmom

I've had luck with this type of staining with rewashing the item (maybe with a few towels) with soap and bleach -- maybe a 1/2 cup or so. Let the item soak a bit (15 min.) and then do the wash cycle.
It's helped me a few times, and has always worked! (10/09/2005)

By carolb

There is a product called synthrapol, available at Dharma trading. Synthrapol is used as both a prewash (to promote even dyeing by removing impurities from the fabric) and as an afterwash (to remove excess dye in the final washing and to keep your whites and light colors bright, not "muddy"). Might be available is stores that sell fabric dyeing products.
(10/10/2005)

By CEIL

I use a product called either dye remover or color remover that I find next to the rit dyes at wal-mart. I've used this on colored fabrics with no problems. It never hurts to do a patch test, though! (10/10/2005)

By Jen

Have you tried adding about 1/4 cup of Borax to the load? (10/10/2005)

By Heather in Illinois

I would try Color Catcher. (10/17/2005)

By Mary

bleach on pants

You can't remove a bleach stain; it has already removed the color from your pants. Best bet is to fill in the spots. Try silk-screen dye (not RIT) or even a black Sharpie! (12/05/2005)

By sibyll

Red bleed onto white

I am also having a problem with a tee shirt. THe red sleeves have color bleed onto the main part of the shirt. I tried soaking in Oxiclean but it just got worse. I am hesitant about using a color remover such as Rit as I feel this will also fade out the red sleeves and the flag on the front. (05/08/2006)

By Sindi

Boil some lipton green tea, then let the pants soak in, put salt in the stain and re wash it alone. (06/27/2006)

Two color rugby shirt.
Clothing is Bleeding Onto Itself
Bleeding Heart
Growing Bleeding Heart
Man Holding Burger with Mustard Stain on his Tie
Removing Mustard Stains from Clothing
Pug with bandage leg.
Treating a Pet's Wound
Putting bandaid on child.
Stopping a Superficial Wound from Bleeding
🎉
🎄