Starching Crocheted Items

Category Crochet
Crocheted doilies and other finished projects often are starched to keep their shape. This guide is about starching crocheted items.

Three crocheted doilies.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Certain crochet projects, such as doilies or ornaments, need to be starched to stiffen them upon completion. This is a guide about starch recipe for crocheted items.

I'm making a 3D crochet water lily out of acrylic yarn and I would like to waterproof and stiffen it to place it on my daughter's grave. Do you have any suggestions for methods of stiffening such a product?

You can soak it in starch. Then spray with Scotchgard waterproofing spray.

Starch will make the crochet stiff, however, rain and humidity will make the crocheted article less stiff and may return it to it's original state. You can restarch, of course, but the same will happen in the next rain. There are water resistant stiffeners you can consider.

I am sorry for your loss. Undoubtedly the water lily means something to you and your daughter's memory but I cannot help but feel that no matter how you stiffen this item, you will be very disappointed with the result.

The only way that I can see to do this would be to stiffen it in the shape you want, let it dry thoroughly, and then spray it will a clear acrylic paint. This method may keep it safe for a short period of time but I do not think you will find any really permanent method. Even just one tiny/small missed spot will allow moisture inside and that means mildew and the item is ruined.

How did you plan to place or fasten this on your daughter's grave? Would it be possible to make your lily, stiffen it, and have it placed in a sealed acrylic box? Many people also use photographs of their loved one and an item they loved - even in separate photos. Or maybe enclose your lily in a deep picture frame that can be sealed.

My father-in-law will be making a box to put it in. He is a Master Craftsman, who will be making a wooden, sealed box with a viewing window on the top.

Thank you for taking the time to clarify as I was very concerned about placing an open item out in the weather. This idea sounds like a lovely way to place a remembrance at a daughter's grave site and I hope it turns out even nicer than expected.

I would suggest you contact either Michael's or JoAnn's if one is near you as they deal with all kinds of crafts and I believe they would go to all lengths (ask for manager) to help you find the best solution as you will also need to know how to make your lily stay in the correct shape.

I'm looking for a recipe for starching doilies with sugar water, to a very hard finish. It is a doily basket. I used to know this years ago and have forgotten it. Can someone help me? Thanks.

By Sharon from Santa Rosa, CA

Best Answer

I have used elmers white glue to stiffen crocheted objects. Dilute the glue by half. 2on glue 1 on water. This drys clear and if object gets dirty can be washed, just restiffen. If stored will not attract bugs either.

Best Answer

Sugar Starch Recipe for doilies

This is the old-fashioned starch used for lacy doilies.

1/4 cup water

3/4 cup granulated sugar

Mix water and sugar in a small pan. Stir the mixture over low heat (do not boil) until clear and not sugary. Remove pan from heat, and let mixture cool.

Wet the collar and cuffs of a blouse or lace doily. Roll in a towel to remove excess moisture and dip it into the mixture. Squeeze out excess starch, then shape the collar and cuffs or doily. Allow to dry and iron on warm setting.

Doilies do not need to be ironed when you use this starch. Just smooth out and shape while wet on a clean flat surface.

Is regular kitchen corn starch good to use for starching crocheted items?

Pat from Estacada, OR

Best Answer

Spray starch

Best Answer

I have used cornstarch and water mixture mainly because I can't find liquid starch anywhere.

No, use laundry starch

I am looking for the starch recipe my mother used on crocheted doilies to make them super stiff and hard. They would not droop during humid weather.

By Luwanna from Xenia, OH

Best Answer

I use any bottled liquid starch I find at Wal Mart or anyplace similar. It's always worked great for my doilies. I simply pour a small amount into a bowl. I place the doilies in the bowl, and add enough water to cover, mixing for just a few seconds. I allow them to soak for approximately 1-2 minutes, then roll them up in a towel to get most of the moisture out. After that I iron them as usual.

I find I only have to do this about every 4-5 washings, simply using a light spray starch in the meantime.