Starter for a "30 Day Cake"

Category Cakes
Slice of "30 Day Cake", a type of fruited bundt cake, on a plate
Once you make or receive the starter this is a fun, easy, and delicious cake that your family can enjoy, as well as the friends you share the batter with. This is a guide about starter for a "30 day cake".

I want to make a 30 day cake, but I do not know how to get the starter mixture started. Can you help me?

By Carol from Union City, TN

Answers

How do you start the 30 day cake need the starter.

Add I 16 oz can if sliced peaches and 1 16 oz can of fruit cocktail then 21/2 cups sugar-put in a glass Gallon jar with lid on loosely and stir till sugar dissolves, then stir once a Day for another 10 days do the same till yor 3 weeks are up another fruit and 21/2 cups more sugar- I'm making my starter right now also- good luck!

The starter only last 3 weeks-add2 16 oz fruits with their juics and all and 21/

2 cups of sugar , stir once daily for 7 days then add another fruit and the2 1/2 more cups (this all goes in a gallon glass jar with the lid on very loosely)sugar and repeat this till the 3 weeks are up- good luck- mines going thru the process right now-. don't forget to stir with a wooden spoon

I have a recipe for a Friendship Cake that takes 30 days to complete. You need a starter and you add fruit to it every so many days, and let it sit. Then on the 30th day you bake it.

It is very good, but my problem is I don't know how to start it. Has anyone ever heard of this cake and do you know how to start the starter?

By Jan from Cincinnati, OH

Answers:

Starter for a "30 Day Cake"

I just watched a program with Julia Child on PBS.
(4-25)
She had a guest chef, Nancy Silverton who made a starter using grapes.
go to
www.PBS.org
click on Julia Child. The episode # is 14
Hope this helps you.

(05/01/2009)

By SweetCali40

Starter for a "30 Day Cake"

Friendship Cake Starter

• 1 (16 oz.) can fruit cocktail
  • 1(16 oz.) can peaches
  • 2 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1(20 oz.) can pineapple tidbits
  • 2 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1 (8 oz.) jar maraschino cherries
  • 2 1/2 c. sugar

Combine fruit cocktail with juice, peaches with juice, and 2 1/2 cups sugar in large jar. Stir with wooden spoon until sugar is dissolved, cover. Let stand at room temperature. Stir each day for 10 days. Add pineapple with juice and 2 1/2 cups sugar, mix well. Stir each day for 10 days. Add cherries (cut in half) with juice and remaining 2 1/2 cups sugar, mix well. Stir each day for 10 days. Store in refrigerator. May store in refrigerator indefinitely. Yields enough for 7 cakes.

Friendship Cake:

• 1 (2 layer) pkg. white cake mix
  • 1 1/2 c. friendship cake starter
  • 2/3 c. oil
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 c. chopped pecans

Combine cake mix, friendship cake starter, oil, and eggs in bowl, mix well. Stir in pecans. Pour into greased and floured Bundt pan. Bake at 325 degrees F for 1 hour. Cool in pan few minutes. Invert onto serving plate. Can be baked in 2 loaf pans.

I bake my friendship cake in wide mouth pint canning jars this way they can sit on the shelf and not take room in the fridge and they literally last for years.

And I like to mix the starter with cream cheese and spread on saltine crackers.
(05/01/2009)

By BABBIE

RE: Starter for a 30 Day Cake

Starter for a "30 Day Cake"

This is for a 10 day Amish Friendship Cake:
found on cooks.com, but there are tons more if you google "Amish cake"

Amish Friendship Cake

Do not refrigerate batter!

DAY ONE: To make your own starter from scratch, mix 1 cup each of flour, sugar, and milk in a bowl. Cover lightly.

DAY TWO: Relax.

DAY THREE: Mix is bubbling, please stir.

DAY FOUR: Mixture is still bubbling, please stir again.

DAY FIVE: Add 1 cup each of flour, sugar, and milk. Stir well.

DAY SIX: Relax.

DAY SEVEN: Mixture is bubbling, please stir.

DAY EIGHT: Mixture is still bubbling, please stir again.

DAY NINE: Needs to be stirred one last time.

DAY TEN: Add 1 cup each of flour, sugar, and milk. Stir well.

To finish the cake: Take out 3 cups of starter and put 1 cup into each of 3 small containers. Give 1 to 3 friends with a set of these entire instructions, (your friends should begin with day two) and include a personal note of friendship.

Add the following to "your" portion of remaining batter (1 cup will be left).

• 2/3 c. oil
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 c. flour
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. nutmeg (optional)

Stir well, but DO NOT use electric mixer. Bake in a floured and greased Bundt pan at 350 degrees F for 40-50 minutes. Cool on a rack for about an hour. Turn over onto serving plate.

OPTIONAL: Add frosting or sprinkle with powdered sugar. For variety, add desired amount of one or more of the following ingredients to batter before baking: apples, nuts, raisins, dates, chocolate chips, cocoa, drained fruit cocktail, or up to 4 overripe bananas.

If you only have two friends, you can reserve 2 cups of the remaining batter and double ingredients and make 2 Bundt cakes. These freeze well. (05/01/2009)

By Indianone

Starter for a "30 Day Cake"

If you successfully make your starter, pour remainder into pint jars and store in freezer. It won't freeze because it is fermented, but will keep a long time this way. When taking it out to make cakes, smell it and if it doesn't smell very strong, add a splash of brandy to it to activate it again.

I have been doing this for many years instead of throwing the starter away after so long a time, like the recipe says. I use at least 1 1/2 cup of the well-drained fruit in my cakes and also add a cup each of raisins, nuts, and coconut. Hope this helps. (05/06/2009)

By indianlady

My mother in law, God rest her soul, used to make a "30 day cake". Everyone loved it and I would like to make it for the family for the holidays. However, it needs a starter and I have no idea how to "start" the starter! If anyone out there can help I would love to hear from you.
Thanks.

Sue from Morrow, OH

Answers:

Starter For "30 Day Cake"

Starter For Friendship Bread

Starter Ingredients

Directions:

Mix in a large, sealable zip lock baggie with wooden spoon. Do not use metal spoon or bowl. Remove all air. Do not refrigerate. It is normal for batter to thicken, bubble, and ferment. It will expand each day.

Friendship Bread

Ingredients

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease 2 loaf pans. Coat insides with mixture of the cinnamon and sugar, reserving some for sprinkling on top of loaves. Add remaining ingredients to starter. Divide batter into bread pans and sprinkle tops with reserved cinnamon and sugar mixture. Bake for 1 hour.

(09/09/2008)

By Madeline

Starter For "30 Day Cake"

Hope this is what you want.

30 Day Cake

In big bowl mix well: eggs, oil, cake mix and pudding. Fold in fruit and nuts.
Pour into greased Bundt pan. Bake at 350F for 50 minutes, or until it tests done.

Brandied Fruit:

Leave in a warm place like the kitchen counter.

Mix this together and stir daily for 10 days. On the 10th day add:

Stir for 10 days.

On the 20th day add 2 (9 oz.) jars maraschino cherries, cut up and drained. Stir daily for 10 more days.

On the 30th day drain the juices from the fruit and divide the fruit into three portions, 1 for each cake. Use some of the juice for starter.
(09/09/2008)

By CSchlim

Starter For "30 Day Cake"

If you're looking for the one with fruit (previously posted), you can start it without any "starter" if you don't have any. I add 1.5 cups sugar to the peaches and stir it every day for 10 days, then continue on as previous post indicates. I've always used cake mixes with pudding included, so then I don't have to also purchase pudding mix. (I also finely chop the fruit and nuts before adding to cake mixture so there aren't huge chunks of stuff in the cake--my preference.) (09/09/2008)

By Loralie_c