Starting a Hedge with Forsythia Clippings

Can you start a hedge with forsythia clippings. Just put them in soil is what I heard. Is it true?

Susan from Hamilton

Answers:

I have rooted some cut branches of forsythia just by putting them in water to start roots growing. Then I plant the rooted branches. I have also just stuck some in the ground without rooting them first, pulling the leaves off the branch that is under ground. Sometimes branches on already established bushes will hang down low enough and will root into the ground and these can be pulled up and planted somewhere else to make a row. It doesn't take long at all to establish a nice row of forsythia. (04/30/2005)

By Arlene

Wait until after it blooms for the best results. I have used a milk jug with water to root cuttings. Very easy, privet hedges and most anything trimmed can be started this way. hormone powder works good but not necessary (05/02/2005)

By Diamondee

Years ago, my neighbor showed me how to start new Forsythia's from existing plants. He would take the longer branches, and just bend them over and put them in a hole and cover with dirt. After several weeks, he would "clip" the branch mid way between the older plant and the recently planted branch, thus he had a new Forsythia plant that was very healthy looking! (05/02/2005)

By Debbie

Hedge Trimmers
Sharpening Hedge Trimmers
Pruning a Hedge
Pruning a Hedge
Grass Clippings On Sidewalk
Using Grass Clippings That Have Weed Killer On Them
Forsythia Hedge
Pruning a Forsythia Hedge
🎄