Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Starting a Wisteria from a Cutting

Wisteria can actually be propagated from both soft and hard wood cuttings, depending on the time of year one works better than the other. This is a guide about starting a wisteria from a cutting.

March 4, 2015 Flag

I have access to a plant that is at least 40' long and it climbed up and on top of a mobile home. How do I take cuttings and start rooting? I have the OK to do what it takes. Do I try and dig till I get roots or any ideas including when? I am in 8b to tell you my seasons. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

By Glen

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You just said you can take cuttings from a vine that is eating a house. Are you sure you want to? When it starts to send out new shoots in spring, break off a few and stick in a glass of water and put in window. Keep water level up, and it will grow roots. Plant in a container for about a year until bigger, and then if you still want to put it outside, put in ground. Wisteria is considered invasive to some degree.

Hello ! I have tried many times to propagate a Wisteria from cuttings, from sofwood cuttings or hardwood cuttings and I never succeeded so I think you could try more than one method of propagation to have more chances of success.The other methods are very well explained on the Royal Horticultural Society's internet site. They always have good advices https://www.rhs  /profile?PID=173

Good luck!

January 29, 2013 Flag

Can I start a wisteria tree from cuttings or do I have to air layer them?

By Debra An

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 12, 2010 Flag

Do I have to have roots on the cutting to start another wisteria plant?

By Mary Ann from Interlachen, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 12, 2010 Flag

My daughter has a wisteria bush and she wants to start one for me. How would she do that? She cut off a piece and put in water with no results.

By Peg

Answers:

Starting a Wisteria from a Cutting

Cut a limb off and put it in dirt. It's very easy to take root, keep damp. Good luck. (05/26/2010)

By kffrmw88

Starting a Wisteria from a Cutting

I just rooted one in rooting medium 3 weeks ago, it's a gel like substance and I got it from the local nursery. So far so good. Took a clipping of new growth about 5 inches long and stuck the end in the gel.

There's also another way which is how I got my original wisteria. My grandma had one out back and if you look along the ground near to the stem there are usually little runners you can dig up and plant. I planted 3 runners and only one took. (BTW, I keep mine in pots)

**taken from http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12956 (05/26/2010)

By yoder178

Starting a Wisteria from a Cutting

I have only tried striking a oleander using the water method. I found the trick was to keep it in a dark bottle and change the water regularly otherwise it goes all yucky. (05/26/2010)

By Sharylesley

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 24, 2010 Flag

Does anyone have any experience with planting a limb (or stem) of a wisteria that was trimmed off of a vine? It has no root system. I am experimenting, and so far after 4 days using Miracle-Gro soil, the three twigs are still living.

Joan

Answers:

Planting a Wisteria Cutting

I haven't had any luck with cuttings, but I have started a lot of wisterias with the seeds from the pods, they pop open. I stick them in the dirt where I want them to grow, put a mason jar over the planted seeds, and forget about it; they will grow. Leave the jar on it until it gets a good growth. I have the wisterias all over my area. (07/02/2005)

By Tina

Planting a Wisteria Cutting

I started a wisteria by dropping several seeds in a small hole where I wanted the vine to grow. It grew out of the ground several weeks later. (03/26/2007)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Wisteria
Growing Wisteria
Home and Garden Gardening CuttingsFebruary 15, 2017
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
beautifully designed kitchen
Starting an Interior Design Business
Wisteria Photos
Wisteria Photos
Closeup of Lavender Rose
Starting Roses from Cuttings
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2017 at 7:18:11 PM on 10.0.2.218 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.