Starting to Live Frugally

A woman clipping coupons for the first time.
It's never too late to begin saving money and reusing what you may have trashed in the past. This guide is about starting to live frugally.

I'm pretty new at this stuff. Does anyone have good recommendations for books about living frugally?

By AnnaKaye

Best Answer

There is a good book called "The Tightwad Gazette" by Amy Dacyczyn. It is a compilation of 6 years of her mailed newsletter.

Best Answer

Why not start off with HOW thrifty people find books? I recommend that you find the books on living better for less money at the local library. If specific titles you want are not on the shelves, ask if you can reserve them, or get them via interlibrary loan. Also, begin now to look at the shelves in the second hand stores for books which may help you live economically.

Among my favorite books are the three volumes of the Tightwad Gazette. I now own two, which were given to me as gifts. I also have collected various volumes of household hints from publishers like the following:

Better Homes and Gardens -- Older books from this and other women's magazines are more thrifty, such as those from the fifties.

Rodale Press -- This company has lots of useful how-to guides on lifestyle changes that will save money or help you live longer.

Readers Digest -- Lots of great how-to guides available. Look for topics like gardening, home repairs, etc.

Independent presses -- I've found a great book by a Mormon woman, a series by a Mennonite woman, and a few other obscure volumes by people who live economically because of their religious convictions.

In addition to books, I recommend that you subscribe to several lists or newsletters dedicated to frugal living. The daily or weekly sharing of ideas does a lot to energize and inspire. I've found a great variety of free services: one on financial management that does not assume we are all wealthy investors; one about cooking that tries to balance savings, convenience, and fun; one about making the most of your time with your children; and one with fabulous ideas for a beautiful home and garden; several on general topics. There are also lists and news bulletins on pet care, gardening, homeopathic and herbal medicine, organizing, housework, etc.

Rose B, mother of three, in NC

Best Answer

Be Centsable as well as Coupon Mom have been great resources for me in addition to this website. I strongly recommend that you check to see what your local library has to offer. If after reading these books you decide to purchase a copy, check ebay for used copies. I have been fortunate to purchase "like new" and new copies for book for 75%- 90% off suggested retail price.

Welcome to the frugal way of life (aka the smart way to live)!

Tightwad Gazette is definitely a winner! I am also reading a book now called "Living Well on a Shoestring", put out by Yankee Magazine, and am finding it helpful. --Becki in Indiana