Steam Cleaners and Soap Scum on Shower Doors

I just moved in and my home is only 5 years old. It has the worst soap scum on the glass shower doors. I've tried nearly every great idea on this site and nothing worked for me. I've heard that steam cleaners work great, is this true?

By Jane from Vancouver

Answers:

I have tried several homemade products, but with no luck. Try a product called Foam Q and A. It is available in janitorial businesses that sell to the public. It is reasonably priced and can be used on other surfaces, but it works best in the bathroom. Be sure to read all instructions. (07/11/2010)

By GWRN

I would try Bar Keeper's Friend. It's cheap and it works wonders for getting hard water spots off of dishes and glassware. I bet it would work on shower doors as well. It is non-abrasive. (07/11/2010)

By RDLaure

If all else fails, carefully use a razor blade to scape off what you can and then scrub the rest with good ol' fashioned elbow grease and Comet. (07/11/2010)

By ScGamecockCrew

I read somewhere that dampened dryer sheets will get off the accumulated gunk. It's certainly worth a try, but if you have years of build up on your doors the dryer sheets trick might be better at maintaining the doors once you do get them clean. (07/12/2010)

By Katie-Lou

I have a friend who swears by the steam cleaners, she has a large one and a small one. She has health problems and cannot do much manual cleaning. She has the Shark brand. Hope this helps. Others swear by the Magic Erasers. Good luck. (07/13/2010)

By indianlady

Go buy a bottle of CLR. Cleans the crud off anything and is safe to use on everything. It is cheap, not much elbow grease involved. Follow instructions. You can also put some in a baggie and hang on the shower head to get the gunk of out there, too. CLR can be found in grocery, hardware, multi shopping stores. Sounds too good to be true, but it works well. Made for those who want simple in their clean ups. (07/13/2010)

By T&T Grandma

I've used a razor blade like someone else said. Use one of the holders that holds a straight edge blade. To me that is the easiest way to get it off. Just go easy and be careful; you don't what to scratch the glass. (07/13/2010)

By TXBetty

Use CLR or ZUD as above. Once it's clean apply RainX. You won't have that scum problem for a long time.
r (07/13/2010)

By Songwritter

I use Mr. Clean Magic Erasers to remove soap scum. It works like a charm! You can also use a paste made of baking soda and water. Just make sure to rinse really well. (07/14/2010)

By linex_4

Cook top cleaner works for getting off water spots. (07/14/2010)

By jul9246

Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
Shower door made of metal and class.
Cleaning Metal Parts on Shower Doors
cleaning a tub
Removing Soap Scum from a Plastic Tub
Shower Enclosure
Cleaning a Shower Enclosure
Shower Power Cleaner
Buying Shower Power Cleaner
🎉
🎄