Sterilizing Canning Jars

It seems I read somewhere that you could sterilize canning jars in the oven. Does any one know about this? At what temperature and for how long?

Thanks for any help!
Shona from Ocoee, TN

Answers:

Sterilizing Canning Jars

I've heard that you can sterilize your canning jars in the dishwasher if you turn your water heater up to it's highest setting and wait about an hour until the water is super-hot. This is how I've always sterilized my canning jars when making jam and also my baby bottles... I'm sure it depends on how hot your water heater actually gets. I'd like to hear if others have used the same technique when canning veggies.

f course a really hot dishwasher is always nice for removing germs from dishes when someone in the house is sick with something contagious (like mono). But always remember to turn the hot water heater back down (especially if you have small children) so you won't scald yourself or waste energy.

* And as for your original question. I'd say about 350 degrees F for an hour would be MORE than enough time and temp to kill any lingering germs, but REMEMBER to NOT preheat the oven (as you normally do) because you don't want to "shock" the glass and have it break. Just put the jars in, THEN let the oven heat up and cool down with them in it. I've heard that it's best to but about an inch of water in and around the jars (while they sit in a baking pan) but I don't know why this is done. If it were me, I'd go on to a forum-based website that specializes in cooking and canning and ask this question. (09/05/2008)

By Cyinda

Sterilizing Canning Jars

I have sterilized canning jars in the oven. I wash and rinse them, then put them in the oven wet before I start preparing whatever food I'm going to process. I lay them on their sides on the rack. I set the oven for 275 - 300 degrees F and leave them in until I need to use them. I have also sterilized jars by running them through a dishwasher cycle and by putting them upside down in the canner rack over the hot water that I will be processing the jars in. (09/05/2008)

By skinney54

Sterilizing Canning Jars

The oven method seems so much work. First, boiling water is 212 degrees F or 100 degrees C. So you would not need to bring it to 350 degrees.

I put a dutch kettle on the stove when I am canning, bring it to a boil with what ever pints are needed. I can in smaller amounts so a canner full can be easily cleaned to germ free. Boil water 10 minutes gets you sterilized jars. They must be immersed totally. You can do the same with a larger kettle/canner for quarts. You don't have to worry about burned fingers, exploding glass. Been there, done that.

I can pints for quantity needed now.

I usually have run the jars through the dishwasher in the first place, and use the added kettle water addition if they sat and cooled a few hours. A hot jar will process faster when you put hot items into it to pressure cooker or water bath. My dishwasher has a heat water cycle built right in so the temp is disinfecting to start with.
(09/05/2008)

By TandT Grandma

Sterilizing Canning Jars

I do this all the time, and find it the most convenient for me. I wash the jars in hot soapy water, rinse, and place in a large pan. Put in 250 degree F oven for 20-30 minutes. I noticed on a canning site that the purists do not believe this method or the dishwasher method actually sterilizes the jars and are against it. But it has always worked for me without any problems.
(09/05/2008)

By Sue

Sterilizing Canning Jars

I sterilize my canning jars in the dishwasher. After years of doing this, we have never had a problem. I just wash them in a regular cycle because I store them in an old box. BUT, you can just use the drying cycle if your machine gets hot enough. Thanks! (09/06/2008)

By Starchild in VT

Sterilizing Canning Jars

My husband taught me to use the oven for sterilizing jars about 27 years ago. We have not had any problems such as jars coming unsealed or food poisoning. I use 200 degrees for at least 20 minutes or until I am ready for the jars, and take them out of the oven one at a time as I fill and cap them. (09/06/2008)

By coreenhart

Sterilizing Canning Jars

I've been preserving for years using clean empty ordinary jam jars and their lids. Easiest method I've found is to fill them with boiling water including the lids, drain and put them in a low oven upside down to dry. Turn the oven off and leave them in there till you need to fill them. I've just put waxed paper rounds and put the original lids on and have always had a tight seal. EASY AND SIMPLE. I have NEVER had a problem with contamination. Some jars I have opened a year or so after filling and they have always been perfect. (09/06/2008)

By cett

Sterilizing Canning Jars

I have always turned them upside down in a shallow roaster with about 1 inch of water allowing the steam to sterilize them.

Another note you can reuse baby jars that have the pop off lids for jellies. They will reseal at least one more time. (09/06/2008)

By BOZOMOM

Sterilizing Canning Jars

I found a book on canning that you can read online. The title is Complete Guide to Home Canning and Preserving and was published by USDA in 1999. (09/07/2008)

By crazyliblady

A Woman Canning
Reusing Canning Jars
Baking in Canning Jars
Baking in Canning Jars
Jar of canned papaya balls in syrup.
Canning Papayas
Freshly Canned Pears Near Pears in a Bowl
Canning Pears
Pile of fresh cherries in front of a jar of cherry jam.
Canning Cherries
🎉
🎄