Stopping Junk Mail

How do I stop junk mail in snail mail?

Keeper from NC

Stopping Junk Mail

Go to What an amazing site. I've reduced my mail by 90%. (09/22/2008)

By Dani

Stopping Junk Mail

Here's a website known as Direct Marketing Association. I've been receiving way too much junk mail in my emails. I just signed up tonight so this should eliminate a lot of spam. (09/22/2008)

Stopping Junk Mail

There are several things to do:

1. Use the DMA website listed by another kind blogger, above.

2. If the junk mail comes with a return envelope, put everything (including the envelope it came in) into the return envelope after marking the materials with this message: "Remove my contact information from your mailing list Do not share my information with any other entity". The companies MUST comply, per federal laws. (I printed up labels with that message on them to make it easier to respond to these mailings).

3. If you are receiving catalogs, use the envelope inside to contact them to remove you from the list. If there is no envelope, remove the page (usually the back) with your name and address and mail it to the company with the message to remove you. Yes, you will be using your own postage, but ultimately the reward of discontinuing junk mail is worth it.

4. Also, one way to avoid being added to future mailings, don't give out your telephone number and/or address indiscriminately (like at retails stores or on contest forms). And if you are subscribing to a new magazine, tell them directly on the subscription form that they are not to share your information with other entity and they are only to use your information for the subscription purposes.

I have been doing this for about five years and achieved a massive reduction in junk mail. I receive only one or two per month now. It's wonderful!

By Belzin

Stopping Junk Mail

I had this website saved in My Favorites:

You can also stop catalog mailings by clicking on the above website. (09/23/2008)

Stopping Junk Mail

Many companies you normally do biz with with often give out your names/addresses/phone numbers to other companies unless you tell them NOT to. You have to opt out. I think once a year they put their privacy policy in with their bills and there is info there on what they do with your info and how to opt out. It was easier for me to make a list of all the companies we do business with and call their 800 number and ask them to take me off the lists for both mail and phone. It has cut down the junk tremendously.

Who to call: (!)= indicates notorious for junk mail from

• phone providers (!)
  • internet provider (!)
  • cable TV provider (!)
  • electric, water, garbage, sewer, recycling
  • credit card companies, store credit cards, gas cards, etc
  • health care provider
  • bank (!) or credit union
  • insurance companies
  • AARP (!)
  • clubs or organizations you belong to
  • magazines you subscribe to (!)
  • charities you give to (!)

More info on removal at links below: (09/23/2008)

By Kaelle

Stopping Junk Mail

I heard this somewhere and it works most of the time. When you get a piece of junk mail, take it out of the envelope and with the envelope they provide for replies. Take your address label with your name and address on it, tear it up in small pieces and put it in the envelope they sent for replies. Seal it and mail it back to them. You can write a note also to stop sending you mail.
This has worked for me in all but a few cases, one being AARP. They just ignore me and send tons of mail here. But I plan to fight them until they stop. (09/24/2008)

By Marian

Stopping Junk Mail

I happen to be one of the owners of MyJunkTree and as a new company I search the web to see if we are getting any visibility out there and I post in relevant blogs.

We launched the company because we were tired of all the junk mail we were receiving and we personally did not want to bounce all over the web to contact all the different companies to stop it all. First and foremost we wanted to let people choose what they wanted to let come to their home knowing that some people really do like some of the coupons and catalogs. So our clients choose what they want stopped.

We also had to provide a service that is different than the other services out there, so here is what we offer:

1. We have a database of over 1300 catalogs that you can choose to stop.
  2. We have over a 4000 charities/non-profits that you can stop solicitations from.
  3. Stop the delivery of the national phone directories.
  4. Stop the delivery of the weekly coupons.
  5. Stop the general credit card offers, as well as, the ones from your own major bank.
  6. Stop the miscellaneous junk mail from the data brokers.
  7. You can register on the National Do Not Call Registry from the website.
  8. You can order your no strings attached free annual credit report right from the website.
  9. We plant trees with every new membership.

And, yes we are a paid service and yes you can do everything that we do for free, if you want to do all the research and spend the time contacting the companies yourself it can easily be done. We have just done all of the legwork for our clients and feel there is value in the service we provide. So check out MyJunkTree and make difference in your mailbox.

By Tim

Stopping Junk Mail
Woman Holding Her Mouth With Chili Pepper
Stopping the Burn from Spicy Food
Junk Mail or Email Spam
Preventing Junk Mail or Email Spam
Pile of Junk Mail
Disposing of Junk Mail
Mailbox overflowing with junk mail.
Reducing Junk Mail