Stopping a Superficial Wound from Bleeding

Category Home Remedies
Putting bandaid on child.
There are many home remedies to control bleeding of superficial wounds. This guide is about how to stop a superficial wound from bleeding.

I use styptic powder to stop bleeding instantly. Once while scratching my ankle, I accidentally nicked the vein and started bleeding profusely. No matter what I did I couldn't get it to stop because it was in a difficult place to reach. Desperate and thinking I had to go to the emergency room ($) to get it to stop, I then remembered the powder I sprinkle on my dog's toes after nicking them with the clipper.

I got it out and sprinkled it on my ankle. It stung for just a second but the bleeding stopped instantly. From now on my first aid kit will have systolic power in it. The power can be purchase at any pet supply store or online pet store. Check with your doctor first before using it on a child or if you have a medical condition that might be aggravated by using the powder. It saved me a lot of money.

By Gloria Z from Hoffman Estates, IL

Do you mean styptic powder? It is also sold on beauty and barber supply stores and the shaving section of some grocery stores. Powder is better but if you are using it only on yourself the styptic pencil is good too, you dampen the end and run it on the injury.

Do you mean styptic powder? Systolic refers to the upper reading of blood pressure.

Could you spell what it says on the label? As others have noted, styptic sounds more plausible in this case.

You must mean styptic powder made from alum. They can also be bought in a pencil form you can hold on a cut.

MY Mistake! I really meant STYPTIC POWDER not Systolic! Guess I'm getting old. The ingredients are: Benzocaine, Ferric, Subsulfate, Aluminum Sulfate, Bentonite, Diatomaceous Earth & Sulfer.

I now stand corrected. Thank You.

There are many different chemicals it can be made out of as well as contra-indications, depending if you are on medications it would be a No No for.

Check it out before need for use.

Styptic powder used to be a part of all shaving kits which included the straight (strap) razor or even the straight edged.

Sprinkling corn starch or even flour will help stanch bleeding. That came from my vet when my dog scratched inside his ear and had a bleed.

My dog (Dogue de Bordeaux) just ripped her toenail off jumping up at the gate. About half a cupful of blood was the result but as soon as I placed her wound in a bowl of flour, is ceased immediately. Great buschcraft knowledge.

I discovered baking soda works great to stop bleeding of small knicks when you don't have a band-aid or don't want one. I had a knick on my hand that kept bleeding. I blotted and lightly covered it with baking soda. After lightly rubbed back and forth the baking soda totally stopped the bleeding. Who knew?

By pamelaw from Sun Lakes, AZ

Didn't it sting? Flour works also.

When my brother was in the army back in the 60's he learned about using flour. It quite possibly saved my mom's life when she accidently punctured a varicose vein on her leg. The blood was spraying out and my brother grabbed a handful of flour and slapped it on her leg.

It didn't sting me at all-used it like three times on my hands. Works for me.

It's amazing how many people nick the vein in their ankle while scratching themselves and then can't stop the bleeding. That happened to me too. I was panic strickened and not able to stop it by applying direct pressure (there was a lot of blood gushing out). I had visions of having to rush to the ER for help I remembered what I do for my dogs. I got the "quick stop powder" I use when I cut their nails and nick their "quick". I sprinkled the powder on the nick. It burned for a second or two and then stopped bleeding.

My suggestion to anyone whether they own a pet or not is this. Go to a pet store and buy this powder, keep it in your first aid kit or medicine cabinet. Better safe then sorry and a lot cheaper than a ER bill.

Thanks for your post. I have been wracking my brain trying to remember what the powder was called. Would be great to go in a first aid kit too.

I have never tried it but I have heard that black pepper will help stop the bleeding. If you cut yourself, wash the wound and then put black pepper on it to stop the bleeding.

Dab on some ChapStick if you nick yourself and the bleeding will stop, works great for legs and face.

By Chrystal

I keep one in the kitchen for those little cuts. Helps alot. And also one in the desk for OWWW papercuts.Seals out the air that causes the pain.

For superficial wounds that bleed, to quickly stop the bleeding after washing the area, use a cotton swab and dip in petroleum jelly (Vaseline) to wipe thickly over the bleeding area. I am told by my husband that boxers use petroleum jelly to stop their bleeding wounds so they can continue in the ring.

I was playing with my puppy and accidentally one of his sharp teeth scratched me and bleeding started and I couldn't stop it easily. My husband said to use the Vaseline. A scab soon formed and the Vaseline was wiped off. No more bleeding either.

By Lorelei from Georgetown, OH

I rub creamy baby oil on my legs after shaving just to keep them soft, but if you have a nick it works the same way.

Be careful of using Vaseline. If your wound is anything more than very superficial, you could be "sealing" in bacteria, thus making your wound slowly fester and get quite bad...in some cases bad enough to see a doctor. Wash all wounds first before applying anything. If the wound is a puncture, never put Vaseline on it...as bacteria will grow in the puncture. Washing and common sense should be your guide in treating all wounds.

Anonymous

Thanks

This tip is for stopping bleeding on a small cut. Pour black pepper into the sore and spread. It will not burn and stops the bleeding

By Anne from Fernley, NV

Sugar works too, and is less expensive. You mentioned that the pepper doesn't burn, but I don't understand why it doesn't. If it'll burn your eyes, it should burn an open cut, but I'm open to learning new stuff every day. Thanks for the tip. Julia

Flour will also stop bleeding.