Stopping the Itch from Chigger Bites

My request pertains to stopping the ITCH of the chigger bites. I've tried rubbing alcohol, nail polish, Chigger-Aid, and antihistamines that wear off before I can take another dose. I don't want to bathe in bleach water. What else should I try? I hope you all can help me. It's hard getting a good night's sleep when you itch and I've scratched some until they're huge whelps and scab over. HELP!

Thanks in advance.
Cheryl from Missouri from Peculiar, MO

Answers:

Stopping the Itch from Chigger Bites

I was amazed to find that pure olive oil and an equal amount of white vinegar stops the itch of mosquitos and exzema better than anything else I've tried (06/28/2006)

By Siris

Stopping the Itch from Chigger Bites

I have found that pure ammonia helps. (06/28/2006)

By Susan

Stopping the Itch from Chigger Bites

As a child, I would use iodized salt in a bath and soak. You might have to do this every day for awhile. (06/28/2006)

By Jo

Stopping the Itch from Chigger Bites

I grew up in Florida and used to get chiggers fairly often. Unfortunately, like poison ivy, mostly you just have to bear with the itching for several days. I still think the best way to kill the little beasts is the fingernail polish method, but they will still itch till they die. Try taking a cool shower or bath with vinegar or oatmeal added to the water. No hot water - it aggravates your itching. Also, I really recommend cutting your fingernails as short as possible so you aren't able to itch. You could develop a nasty secondary infection if you repeatedly scratch so much you cause your skin to form scabs. Good luck! (06/29/2006)

By deedeept

Stopping the Itch from Chigger Bites

My mom was just telling me to use bacon grease on my son's arm for chiggers. I think Mayo or anything like that would work. It smothers them. (06/29/2006)

By Michele

Stopping the Itch from Chigger Bites

I am sure that this violates EPA and FDA and all kinds of other warnings but I am 62 and still alive so it won't kill you. I used to get covered with them every summer on the farm. My grandfather would have me dab some gasoline over them. ( I wouldn't light up for a minute or two :) ) Then, after the area completely dried apply clear nail polish. I would repeat this every morning, noon, and at night. Usually worked in 2 or 3 days at the most. Good luck. (06/30/2006)

By MollieB55

Stopping the Itch from Chigger Bites

I'd try vinegar and after it dries dab on some milk of magnesia. It is a clay based product and will draw as it dries. (06/30/2006)

By Carla Bledsoe

Stopping the Itch from Chigger Bites

I just conquered the itchy irritations of Chigger bites. And I tried tons of suggested remedies from drug store to natural ones. Mix witchhazel and sulfurzyme power and make a paste and rub on area infected. I started this yesterday and am getting outstanding relief. Sulfurzyme can be obtained by Young Living Essential Oil Company. It also has Wolfberry in the capsul which is a wonderful antioxidant. Hope this helps you.

(07/05/2006)

By Tyna

Stopping the Itch from Chigger Bites

You will not believe this but I am going to solve your problem.

Take the end of a washcloth and hold the point of it under boiling hot water (taking care not to burn yourself). As soon as the end is really very hot, take that end and touch the itchy bite with it. You will not burn yourself if you do it fairly quickly and it will actually feel like you are scratching it.

Do this with each bite you have -- touching the bite with the end of the very hot washcloth.
You will sleep like a baby for the rest of the night. It will last at least till morning.
PS.IMPORTANT: It won't work if it isn't hot enough.
(07/10/2006)

By Idia

Stopping the Itch from Chigger Bites

I am battling this right now. I think a high consentration of Lidocaine works the best. Like burn gel. Anything with menthol would help cool it. (06/16/2007)

By Anna

Stopping the Itch from Chigger Bites

Just info for all... the itch you have from chiggers is the reaction of the chigger saliva with your body after the chigger has bitten you. The chigger is not under the skin. It bit you and moved on to another host. You now have to treat the bite... not the chigger! (07/15/2007)

By stuart

Stopping the Itch from Chigger Bites

Thanks everyone for your feedback. The remedy that has worked best is the aloe vera gel with lidocaine. It seems to really help. I found that Orajel Teething gel numbs pretty well also. (07/15/2007)

By Cheryl from Missouri

Stopping the Itch from Chigger Bites
Woman Holding Her Mouth With Chili Pepper
Stopping the Burn from Spicy Food
Mosquito Bite Remedies
Mosquito Bite Remedies
Mosquito Bites
Treating Insect Bites and Stings
Chigger on Leaf
Remedies for Chigger Bites
🎉
🎄