Store Manuals and Receipts

I recently had a situation which caused me to come up with a new organizing idea. I have this kitchen appliance that I bought 6 or 7 years ago and it quit working. So I tried to find the manual to it, and of course it's disappeared! Then I went online thinking I'd print out a copy of the manual. I'd done that many times with other things. But this time I couldn't find it online.

I called Customer Support for the manufacturer and they told me I had to pay $6.99 + $15.75 shipping! I had to hang up on them to keep from saying what was on the tip of my tongue! Several hours later I got an email from them saying that the manual would cost $9.99 + $6.99 shipping. I didn't even bother answering that one.

So now I have this machine that won't work and I have no way of knowing how to fix it. I learned the hard way that I need to be more organized with my manuals!

So I set up a plastic bin that's big enough to hold a lot of 10x13 inch manila folders. I gathered up all the manuals I could find, along with any other paperwork (including receipts) for each item. I put all the paperwork and receipt for each item in a manila folder and labeled it.

Now whenever I buy something new, even if it's something small or "insignificant", I'll put all the paperwork, including the receipt into a manila folder and put it in the bin. This should save me from having another appliance that I can't find a manual for!

Another thing, many times the paper and/or ink that the receipts are printed on doesn't stay readable over time. So I've started burning copies of my receipts when they are new and I'm putting this in the manila envelope too. If you have an extra drawer in your filing cabinet this would work even better. At present I don't have a filing cabinet but hope to buy one soon. When I do, I'll make sure I reserve one drawer just for this.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

Answers:

Store Manuals and Receipts in a Binder

I have been doing that for years putting manuals and the receipts into folders and file them away. Once a year or so I go through them and then take out or throw out the manuels of the items that I no longer own. (11/05/2010)

By xintexas

Store Manuals and Receipts in a Binder

For some reason, I am a person who hates plastic bins. No matter where I live, I designate a lower drawer in my kitchen for all receipts and manuals. There is always enough room and even if I have to sift through the contents, I know it is in there. (11/06/2010)

By Lilac

Store Manuals and Receipts in a Binder

Did you know you can download many manuals for free? Look up the appliance by model number. It's a good idea to keep the manuals with the receipts, extra warranty info in one designated area. (11/06/2010)

By Amandablue

Unorganized stack of manuals
Storing Manuals and Receipts
Sewing Machine
Finding Sewing Machine Manuals
closeup of sewing machine foot and needle
Finding Coronado Sewing Machine Manuals
Handyman Finding Appliance Manuals Online
Finding Appliance Manuals Online
Stack of Appliance Manuals
Organizing Appliance Manuals
🎄