Browsing: Storing Butternut Squash

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Storing Butternut Squash

A winter squash that will keep for a number of months. This guide is about storing butternut squash.

Butternut Squash in wooden box.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 18, 2010 Flag

How long will butternut squash keep after it is picked?

By Dorothy from Cleveland, OH

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If there no bad spots, nicks in the skin, etc. it will keep for about eight months in a cool basement. You should check the squash about once a week, though, to see if it's starting to go bad. In that case you can cut out the bad spot and cook it immediately. Enjoy!

I'd wrap each individual squash in newspaper so they didn't touch one another in case one started going soft. Do check them over frequently though and use any squash that appears to be getting a soft spot. We've kept them over winter and into spring when we were in Michigan. I think about 5 months we had plenty of good squash, used them for baking, stuffing, and made some wonderful "pumpkin pies" with them too.

We knew folks who stored them in straw in their root cellars.

Hope this helps.

Pookarina

I too have kept my butternut squash for many months through the winter. I left it on the vine as long as possible then when I did have to bring it in (it was probably close to October) I set mine in a basket using it (them, I had several of different sizes) as a center piece for either the dining or coffee table. They looked really pretty and were often a conversation piece, starting with, "are those yours from your garden?" Even more so by April! I think that was when I used the last one. They were so, so good! I have some growing now along with spaghetti squash. Good luck with them, and enjoy.

September 21, 2010 Flag

How do you freeze butternut squash? Can it be frozen in the raw form?

By Dorothy from Rochester, NY

If I was going to freeze butternut squash I would cook it first by any method. The problem with this is that you have to then use it in soups or puree'd. Why freeze it at all? Keep the whole squash in a cool dark dry spot and cut it open when you want to use it.

You should bake first but freezing without precooking is not a good idea. :-( Cut in half and place cut side down on baking sheet. Cook until tender. Scrape pulp from rind and mash or remove rind and cube.

Food and Recipes Food Tips VegetablesSeptember 23, 2013
Freezing Butternut Squash
Freezing Butternut Squash
Butternut Squash Soup Recipes
Butternut Squash Soup Recipes
Pickled Pumpkin
Pickled Squash Recipes
Roasted Stuffed Butternut Squash
Butternut Squash Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 4:25:33 PM on 10.0.0.143 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.