Storing Chocolate

Category Dry Storage
Chocolate
Maintain the color, shape and freshness of your cacao seed product until it is consumed. This guide is about storing chocolate.

In 'What Is Boxing Day?' under Featured Articles someone asked how long can chocolate be frozen. Chocolate should not be frozen. When you thaw it out it develops 'bloom', that white/yellow coating. Bloom is not harmful, nor does it affect taste and it will disappear if you melt the chocolate. But it does look unappetizing! Chocolate doesn't need to be frozen anyway. If you kept it in a cool, dark place it will last about a year.

Joan from Chesapeake, VA

How long can you keep baking morsels and dipping chocolate on the shelf at your house? I have some, but I am not sure if I should use it. Thanks.

Beth from Warsaw, IN

Nestle has a use best date on the package, Hershey's has a best used by date code on the package. There is single digit number on it and a letter after it, the number is the year and the letter is the month (jan=A, feb.=B, etc.)

I had some in the freezer from last Christmas...used it this year...was perfect. So, I would say...if the date isn't too far past...freeze and use later.

If you'll keep it in your freezer, it will keep forever. I've used some I bought 2 yrs ago at an after Christmas sale and it's still good.

Paula

I do not think that chocolate spoils, although the quality may not be as good as fresher chocolate. It isn't harmful, if that is what you are worried about. Taste it, and if it is fine, than you should be able to use it.

One of the best ways to find out if your product is still good--does it retain the same color as fresh? Does it taste the same? Does it coat your mouth with a waxy feeling?

As chocolate ages, it gets lighter in color. Some looses flavor as well. I keep mine in the cupboard in Tupperware, open bags fresh from the store and put into sealed container. I average about 2 years before cleaning out what has not been used. Put a piece of masking tape on product container so you have an idea of the age!

While chocolate CAN go stale, it does NOT spoil.

The best place to store chocolate is the freezer...in a double freezer bag.

A good way to freshen chocolate for dipping or coatings is to add a small bit of shortening and a few "fresh" chocolate chips to the bowl or double boiler when you melt it. Otherwise, I'd just go ahead and use it as is.

If baking chocolate chunks are white, ashed over, are they safe to use? The best by date is 2013.

By Tina