Storing Eggs

Category Eggs
Storing Eggs
Proper storage of eggs will not only protect them from breakage, but can keep them fresh longer. This is a guide about storing eggs.

With 7 chickens, I end up storing a lot of eggs. I bought clear plastic reusable egg containers to store the eggs from my chickens. They are more expensive than the cardboard ones, but you can wash and sterilize them between uses. They can contain any mess if an egg gets broken and they keep trash out of the landfills.

You can put a label on them to keep track of the dates that the eggs were collected, making it easier to eat the oldest ones first. They have a lid, so you can stack multiple containers to keep your refrigerator organized.

Related Product:

I am staying with a friend while I save up for a big move. Her little fridge is a bit inadequate so things don't exactly get their own place.

She recently got a 24 pack of eggs because we couldn't fit a 60 pack inside. Several people were using the eggs, so it occurred to me to keep a running balance, on the end of the carton, of how many were left. I think this helped us when heading out to the store, we could know how many eggs we had left without taking them out.

I hope this helps!

If you buy in bulk like I do, I have something to share. I love eggs, and find that I can get 5 dozen for a lot less per dozen. The challenge was where to keep them. So, one day, I cut up the cardboard nesting trays they were in and put them inside the crisper tray in my fridge. Now, not only do they all fit, but they are much more protected.

By Sandra from Salem, OR

Tips for storing eggs. Post your ideas.

Storing eggs with the large end up will keep the yolks centered.

By Patricia Fielder

I store my eggs not in the door of the frig but way in the back of the frig where its the coldest. They stay fresh longer. Eggs like to be cold.

the dates on eggs are approximate expiration.. if an egg is bad it floats in salted water.. if it is good it sinks to the bottom.

Keep your eggs in their original cartons til time of use, so they'll not be exposed to the changes every time your refrigerator door is open. They'll keep fresh longer.

By Terri

Place a date on the carton with a freezer pen so that you will know when you bought them.

When selecting eggs in the store,look for the eggs with the most bumps on the shells. These are the freshest eggs. As the shell gets older it thickens and loses it's bumps.

Place eggs in a deep bowl of cold water if not sure how old they are. Those that float to the top are old and should not be used.

When placing boiled eggs in the fridge with raw ones, use a marker and mark the carton. Don't use indelable markers to mark egg shells. The shells are porus and will allow the harmful ink to contaminate your egg inside. Keep all the boiled in the same carton.

When you put eggs in the egg tray in the refrigerator, should the big end of the egg be up or down?

By Marjorie from MI

It doesn't matter.

While it is correct that which end of the egg is up doesn't matter, eggs should be left in the carton instead of being placed in the refrigerator tray. Leaving them in the carton keeps them fresher for a longer period of time.

I was brought up being told to put the small end down and that is how I have always done it.