Storing Lettuce

Tips and ideas for storing lettuce.
Responses:
Tupperware 07/01/2005
If you have a Tupperware bowl or storage container with a top... Wash your HEAD lettuce under HOT water, core it, drain it, and put in on a paper towel in the container. It remains crisp and fresh, not so sure if this works with leaf lettuce.
By Mary D (Guest Post)
Ziplock Bag With Paper Towel 07/01/2005
I wash leaf lettuce in cold water, drain well, then store in a ziplock bag with a paper towel. Keeps the lettuce fresh for days.
By Brandy
Everfresh 07/02/2005
I wrap stalk type lettuce (red leaf, romaine) in a couple of paper towels and store in an evertfresh bag in the veggie crisper fridge drawer.
www.evertfresh.com

If the lettuce is too wet, I change the paper towels later.
I buy the bags in the produce section of the grocery. First saw them at Whole Foods Market, and later on at other grocery stores. If you get some, get a larger bag rather than smaller, as some lettuces can be quite large. I use the size large bag. Been using these bags for quite a few years. Am happy with the results. As the bag is a light green, it makes it easier to spot the lettuce in a hurry.

The evertfresh bag lasts a long time. And if the directions say to change it with each new head of lettuce, I don't. I just keep reusing the bag until it needs to be discarded. I wash the leaves right before using.

I used to close the bag with a twist tie, but now I just place the paper towel wrapped lettuce in the bag, tuck under the open ends and place it in the crisper.

By Holly (Guest Post)
Get Rid of Excess Moisture 07/02/2005
When I buy romaine or leaf lettuce, I always take extra bags from the produce section of the grocery store. Since the lettuce is constantly getting sprayed throughout the day, when I get home, I take the lettuce (and I do this with everything that gets sprayed with water throughout the day,) I put it in colanders to drain off all the water. When I am sure that the stuff it dry, I put it in the plastic bags, and put it in the crisper of the refrigerator.

Alternatively, I sometimes use Tupperware Fridgesmart containers. These have buttons at the front which allow you to control the air flow into the containers. When I purchased these containers on E-bay, I was sent a chart that tells me what setting I need for various products. It works wonderfully, and keeps the produce for quite a long time, however, the draw back of these containers is that they do take up a lot of space in the refrigerator.

It's important to make sure that whenever storing produce, that you have made sure to get rid of all of the excess moisture and water. Failure to do so will result in rotting very quickly. I would also advise that people not wash the produce prior to storing, but rather that they wash it prior to using. It stays fresher that way. And if you wash it just prior to use, sometimes the cold water helps to freshen the stuff too.

By skbeal
Storing Lettuce 07/20/2005
I found out if I wrap my lettuce in paper towels in a Tupperware type bowl it will last a long time. The paper towels absorb the moisture. I live alone and have kept lettuce for 2 or more weeks.
By Brenda from Alabama
Ziplock Bags 08/14/2005
Question:

I would like to know tips for storing lettuce.

Answer:

Wash your lettuce and dry it on a towel. Once thoroughly dry, seal in a Ziplock bag. Do not store near apples, pears or bananas as the ethylene gas these fruits emit will help speed the ripening (and decay) process.

Jennifer A. Wickes is a freelance food writer, recipe developer and cookbook reviewer. She has written several eBooks, and has had numerous articles, reviews and recipes in printed publications, as well as on-line. She is working on her first cookbook. For more information about Jennifer or her work, please visit her home page: http://home.comcast.net/~culinaryjen/Home.html

By Jennifer A. Wickes
Don't Cut Lettuce with a Knife 10/23/2005
Never cut lettuce with a knife and when you go to store it place it in a air tight container, it will last longer that way.
By Sunshine (Guest Post)
Vege-Saver 01/26/2006
There is a great product for keeping lettuce and other vegetables. Check out http://www.simplyorganicproducts.com and read about the Vege-Saver. I love mine!
By jcs523

A variety of lettuce.
Storing Lettuce
Iceberg Lettuce
Growing Iceberg Lettuce
Cleaning and Storing Romaine Hearts
Cleaning and Storing Romaine Hearts
Head of green leaf lettuce.
Washing Lettuce
Lettuce growing in a box.
Growing Lettuce
🎄