Storing Onions

I planted large onions this year and we have a lot. How do I store them for the winter?

Barb from Michigan

Storing Onions

I store onions every winter. We built a cold room in our basement and I usually get a 50 pound bag of onions and break them down to 5 pounds in a net bag..I hang them on the wall..I use the net bags you get onions in the store in or make my bags out of nylon net...They usually last till spring..If I have left overs and they start to sprout I usually dehydrate them for summer. I have been doing this for about 30 years. (08/08/2006)

By Barb from Rothbury, Mi

Storing Onions

The most essental vegetable and easy to store. They, including the tops need a few weeks to dry, then do one of the following storing methods.

Hang Them

When dry the best can be hung in nets or strung together. They will keep n a cool dry place. To start a string take four onions and tie the stalks together, then tie the knotted stalks to a pece of string. Hang this from the roof of your store and then add further onions one at a time , by tying their stalks around the string.

Freeze Them

Skin ,slice and blanch for 2 minute before freezing. Small onions can be frozen whole. When needed add frozen to soups and stews. (08/09/2006)

By Katt

Storing Onions

Storing them in their original form is great, but you can also freeze them. I chop them up and freeze in ziplock bags. Then when I am making chili or meat loaf, they are already chopped and ready to use. You can also store some in slices, great for stir fry, etc. It's nice because once they freeze they separate easily. (08/09/2006)

By Cheryl (

Storing Onions
Storing Onions
chopping green onions
Chopping Green Onions
Onions growing in the ground.
Growing Onions
Freezing Green Onions
Freezing Green Onions
Photo of an onion harvest.
Harvesting Onions