Storing Onions and Potatoes

I had many a potato and onion go bad until I learned to Never refrigerate potatoes or dry onions (as opposed to scallions or the sweet varieties). Never wash them until I am ready to use them. Store them in a dark, cool space like a closet, garage or pantry. These vegetables require good air circulation.

To get onions to last for months, cut one leg from a clean pair of pantyhose. Drop an onion into the toe, and tie a knot close to the onion. Drop in another. Repeat until filled. Hang from a nail in the pantry or garage. When I need an onion I cut right below the lowest knot.

Air circulation encourages long life and discourages sprouting. This technique works well with garlic and potatoes, too. And you won't believe how many you can fit in one pantyhose leg, plus you are finding a use for pantyhose that have a run in them. Of course, take time to put your worn panty hose in the wash before using to hang and store your root vegetables.

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

Storing Onions
Storing Onions
Freezing Potatoes, Potatoes on white background
Freezing Potatoes
chopping green onions
Chopping Green Onions
Onions growing in the ground.
Growing Onions
Freezing Green Onions
Freezing Green Onions