Storing Potatoes

If you have trouble with your potatoes turning green or trying to grow before you can use them up, try this: Take them out of the plastic bag and put them in a paper grocery sack. Close it up and store them someplace dry and cool, if possible. I have been keeping mine in a basket on top of my fridge. I had potatoes in there for a month and a half, and they looked the same at the end as at the beginning.

A couple other tips I have learned about potatoes. Never store them in the fridge because the starches turn into sugars. Don't wash them before storing, just before using. If they have to be washed first, for some reason, make sure they are perfectly dry so they won't rot. And don't store them near onions, as convenient as it seems. This will cause both the potatoes and onions to spoil faster.

Source: I read way too many cooking websites and magazines. ;)

By Jess from Hillsboro, OR

Answers:

Storing Potatoes

Thank you so much. We are only 2, but the prices on 10# are sometimes too good to resist, and sometimes my neighbors have gone for the same bargains. I do love potatoes, but not every day. I also read way many food mags and books, but aren't they fun! (09/05/2009)

By tennesue

Storing Potatoes

I don't doubt the good advice, but I've always kept the onions in the mesh and plastic grocery bag with the potatoes in their original bag/plastic grocery bag in the bottom drawer of my fridge. I've never really had a problem.

Living in Florida, hard to find cool places. :) Don't know about the sugar change. However, good advice just the same. (09/06/2009)

By kghsave

Storing Potatoes

Thanks for the tip! My husband and I have been trying to fix that problem. We buy 50lbs of potatoes because it saves a lot, and also because of our winters here. We will definitely try your tip! (09/09/2009)

By Davidicdancer

Storing Potatoes

When I was married and our two daughters were still at home, we would buy 100 lbs. of potatoes, and store them in the burlap bag that they came in, in the fruit cellar in our basement. (09/09/2009)

By redhatterb

potatoes
Storing Potatoes
Freezing Potatoes, Potatoes on white background
Freezing Potatoes
Mashed potatoes with melting butter on top.
Fixing Runny Mashed Potatoes
sliced sweet potato
Recipes Using Yams (Sweet Potatoes)
growing sweet potatoes
Growing Sweet Potatoes
🎉
🎄