Storing Soy Milk Without Refrigeration

I have just started processing soy milk and by all looks, it's going to be be a nice project. How can I preserve it without using refrigeration to stay for some 30 days?

By Nsubuga C.

Storing Soy Milk Without Refrigeration

I don't believe you can except by ultra pasteurization, which is not available to the average person. If you could find canning jars you could can it in a pressure cooker.
Protein foods need to be canned under pressure, no exceptions. But canning jars can be dear. You might just make very small amounts and deal with the constant preparation, rather than risk food poisoning in a very warm climate.

I read your second post. You must have proper lids. You cannot can in pop jars; you are risking explosion and serious injury.

My husband was from Kenya. He told me the settlers used to dig a square hole in ground, line with concrete blocks or bricks, covered somehow and dripped water into the hole and it worked as a refrigerator, much as one might make a root cellar. I do not have specifics, but someone who lived in Africa in the 1950s must have a clue how it was done.

Try writing to Scott Pittman of the Permaculture institute in New Mexico and ask if he knows any low tech way to make a fridge, since canning may be more than is practical to tackle, since one has to sterilize the jars, get a pressure canner, and new lids every time you can. You cannot reuse lids. I am giving you the advice of my sis in law, the world's greatest canner.

Where are you in Ghana, city or countryside? A guy at U of Utah I think it was, used a simple cone shaped solar cooker to make ice at night, by facing cone towards starry skies out in countryside; wouldn't work in a city, too much ambient light, even in Africa (cities aren't quite as lit up as in US). I'll bet you could make ice at night out in the dark outside of a city in Africa, I remember you couldn't see a thing. Then people could use ice for simple in ground ice box of some sort. His design is on web for free. (06/16/2010)

Storing Soy Milk Without Refrigeration

I can buy soy milk in Canada in tetra paks on the store shelves. You only need to refrigerate after opening. They have a shelf life of a year or more. I'm not sure if this is the same as you make. (06/17/2010)

By Pennypacer

Storing Soy Milk Without Refrigeration
Using Soy Flour
Using Soy Flour
Tofu on Plate with White Background
Homemade Tofu Recipes
Soy candle in a glass jar.
Making Soy Massage Candles
Recipes Using Soy