Storing Sugar

How do I make a jar airtight or at least as airtight as possible without a gasket? I have a set of glass storage jars, but they only have plastic lids, no gaskets. I would like to store my sugar in here, but knowing how easily brown sugar cakes and hardens I want to do as much prevention as I can.

By Elaine from Canada

Answers:

Storing Sugar

Put a piece of bread-any ordinary kind will do-in the container with the brown sugar. The bread will help the sugar stay soft. You will need to change the bread as it becomes stale and dries out. Hope this helps. (09/19/2010)

By moseley3

Storing Sugar

Keep your brown sugar in a plastic bag and use a twist tie, then put in your storage jar. (09/19/2010)

By MCW

Storing Sugar

You can probably get replacement rubber seals for those jars, especially if you have a good hardware store around that still carries household goods in addition to hardware goods. If you don't see, ask, they may be able to order them! (09/20/2010)

By Jilson

Storing Sugar

You can put a piece of plastic wrap over the mouth of the bottle and then just put the lid on over it. Works fine for me. (09/22/2010)

By fresca03

Storing Sugar

I was going to say the same thing. The bread in the brown sugar works very well to keep it from hardening. (10/10/2010)

By wilma2

Storing Sugar
Storing Sugar
Sugar Snap Peas
Freezing Snow Peas (Sugar, Chinese, or Sugar Snap Peas)
Brown Sugar
Making Brown Sugar
Ground Cinnamon
Sugar Free Cinnamon and Sugar Recipes
Gift bag made out of a sugar bag craft
Craft Uses for Sugar Bags
🎉
🎄