Storing Your Paint Brush Between Coats

Put your paint brush in a plastic bag and place it in the refrigerator when you take a break. Make sure the plastic is completely sealed or your food could pick up some weird odors. This tip really saved me a lot of time when refinishing my wood floors with polyurethane. I had to wait several hours between coats. Cleaning the brushes and rollers would be a real time-consuming chore. The cold storage sure saved time.

By Elizabeth

Answers:

Storing Your Paint Brush Between Coats

This is a great idea and I have done this soooo many times myself! I've kept brushes in my fridge sometimes for a month wrapped tight in plastic and when they warm up, they are still ready to go! I also do this to roller naps when I have to stop painting for awhile. I wrap them tight in plastic and put them in the freezer. Let them warm up and they are ready to roll. (pardon the pun).

If I can't finish a project at work the same day I will wrap my roller nap in plastic and tuck it away in a cool spot somewhere until the next day instead of using a new nap. I wash my brushes though because we all use the same brushes. (01/10/2006)

By Anonymous

Storing Your Paint Brush Between Coats

Exactly what we were looking for! Thanks for the tip (04/15/2006)

By Holly

Storing Your Paint Brush Between Coats

I am concerned since my landlords are storing their paint brushes and rollers in fridge and freezer. They are not tightly sealed and there is even some paint in freezer now. Will this not contaminate the food? I know if painting where food is stored it has to be food quality paint. (09/11/2007)

By Rebecca