Storing and Using Garlic

I recently read where it is dangerous to cut up garlic and keep in oil because it can cause Botulism. I buy diced garlic already in oil in a jar, and cut up fresh garlic sometimes and add to the same jar. It has concerned me, because I love to use garlic a lot in my cooking. Any advice or ideas on a safer method?

Lisa from SC

Answers:

Storing and Using Garlic

Botulism? Doubtful. It is caused by an organism known as clostridium botulinum and associated with inadequately processed, home-canned foods. Sausages, meat products, canned vegetables, and seafood products have been the most frequent vehicles for human botulism.

I have been cutting up garlic into olive oil for quite a while with no problems, although after about 2 weeks the flavor goes off.
(12/05/2006)

By Claudia-MD

Storing and Using Garlic

It seems important to add some kind of acid (example vinegar) to garlic/oil preparations that are going to be kept for a while:

colostate.edu (12/05/2006)

By ThriftyFun

Storing and Using Garlic

I wouldn't use the garlic or oil "raw", so to speak. I keep mine chopped in a baby food jar, filled with whatever oil I have handy, in the refrigerator, use and replenish as needed. I just use it for cooking, though. (01/13/2007)

By arsonhorse

Storing and Using Garlic

I cut up cloves of garlic and make an elixir of chopped garlic, vodka, and water (30% vodka to the rest water). I put chopped garlic with vodka and water into brown or green bottles and cork, shake bottles each morning and set in a sunny window each morning, then set in a dark cabinet at night for 30 days. After 30 days, strain the chopped garlic and pour the liquid back into the bottles and cork.

This elixir will keep 1 year and even though it doesn't taste good (take a teaspoon of honey behind it), it works great
to kill a virus of cold or flu. Now, the left over chopped garlic can be stored in the refrigerator until used. I use the chopped garlic to cook with. (10/05/2007)

Garlic Bulbs
Preserving Garlic
Garlic Salt
Homemade Garlic Salt Recipes
Using Garlic to Prevent Fleas
Using Garlic to Prevent Fleas
Woman with bad breath covering her mouth.
Getting Rid of Garlic Breath
Storing Garlic
Storing Garlic
🎉
🎄