Stovetop Potato Leek Soup
When the weather turns cold, a pot of this hearty, nutritious soup will warm you on the inside. This is a guide about stovetop potato leek soup
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This easy to make potato leek soup is the perfect chilly weather meal!
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 1 hr 15 min
Total Time: 1 hr 40 min
Source: Food Network (Alton Brown recipe)
- 1 lb leeks (approx. 4-5 medium or 2 large)
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 4-5 small Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced small
- 1 qt vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- heavy pinch kosher salt
- fresh chives
- Clean the leeks and remove the dark green portion.
- Chop leeks into small pieces.
- Melt the butter in a heavy pot, over medium heat. Add a heavy pinch of salt.
- Add the leeks and sweat them for 5 minutes.
- Decrease the heat to medium-low and cook until the leeks are tender (approx. 25 minutes). Stirring occasionally.
- Wash, peel, and dice the potatoes into small cubes.
- Add the potatoes and the vegetable broth to the pot. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Then reduce the heat to low, cover, and gently simmer until the potatoes are soft (approx. 45 minutes).
- Turn off the heat and use an immersion blender to puree the mixture until smooth.
- Stir in the heavy cream, buttermilk, and white pepper. Add additional seasoning, if desired.
- Top soup with snipped chives. Enjoy!
In This Guide