Straightening a Leaning Tree

Category Tree Health
tree orchard
Sometimes a tree may need some help to strengthen the trunk. This guide is about straightening a leaning tree.

We have a weeping cherry tree that is about 4 to 5 years old and it is leaning. How can we fix it from leaning or do we need to replant?

By Judy from Middletown, OH

At this point in time if you were to transplant the tree, it would die.

I just found this website: http://www.akro  070726/fsl18.asp

About the only thing that I can think of to do, is to try to start training it to grow upright. Place a stake on either side of the tree, attach a wire to each stake, cover wire with a garden hose to avoid harming the tree; run the wires in opposing directions, with the main tension on the side that you want the tree to start growing correctly. You will probably have a small disformity where the tree is growing incorrectly right now, but hopefully, the tree will start to grow upward with time.

I have also placed a heavy object next to the tree to keep it from continuing to lean as it grows; this actually works as well. Just make sure to pad the part next to the tree so that it will not scrub when the tree moves in the wind and damage the bark. Success rate will depend on the circumference of the tree, and how well it is established. At any rate, you possibly have fixed the problem, but the tree ain't gonna look like new. LOL. Good luck! Blessings.

We live in windy northwest Ohio, leaning trees are all too common. My husband uses metal fence posts, pounds them into the ground, using cotton rope he ties to the tree pull the tree to the correct position and secures the rope to the fence post. Depending on how large the tree is you may have to use more than 1 post.

I have a couple of natural weeping cherry trees that have been in the ground for 4 years. They are slanted. I guess my husband planted them like that. One is really obvious. Will they ever straighten up?

By Carol Hall B.