Strawberry Plants Not Producing

By Ellen Brown

Q: I purchased and planted a dozen strawberry plants for my 5-year-old son, thinking that he would have fun watching his favorite fruit grow. So far, none of them have produced any viable fruit. I've seen a few that started okay, but they always shrivel up and turn brown before they ripen. I keep them reasonably watered, and they're growing in raised beds. Can you help? Are strawberries temperature sensitive? Maybe the summer heat here in NM has prevented fruit production?

Thanks!
Lynne

A: Lynn,

Strawberries are temperature sensitive, especially the ever-bearing types. Hot temps can adversely affect their yields. In hot climates, it's especially important to keep strawberry plants moist (although not saturated) because their roots are close to the top of the soil.

Your plants could also be diseased. It's difficult to say without more information, but there are several types of fruit rot and fungal diseases that can occur just as the berries are about to ripen. Gray Mold (also called Ash Mold) will turn the fruit brown and mushy; Leather Rot turns fruits brown and leathery; and Black Spot seems to almost mummify the fruits.

Thinning plants can increase air circulation around the plant's crowns to help prevent fungal disease, but in most cases, it's best just to replant with disease resistant cultivators, making sure you provide a sunny site with good air circulation and proper drainage.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services.

Answers:

Strawberry Plants Not Producing

Hi, sometimes strawberry plants, depending on the variety, will not produce until next year. Fertilize early, do not over water, the ever-bearing will continue all season. (08/07/2005)

By frezinsuzen

Strawberry Plants Not Producing

There are 2 types of strawberry plants; June bearing and Everbearing. The June bearing only have berries in (around) June. The Everbearing have them all summer. Sometimes the second year will produce the more. (08/08/2005)

By Donna J.

Strawberry Plants Not Producing

I have my strawberries in 2 hanging pots and the other 1 is in a long pot hooked to my deck. We have had over 100 degree temps and I have fruit. Maybe you planted them too late in the year. (08/09/2005)

By lynnadams

Strawberry plant in dirt
Strawberry Plants Not Producing
Strawberry Shortcake on White Plate
Strawberry Shortcake Recipes
Strawberry Pudding
Strawberry Pudding Recipes
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Diabetic Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Tomato Plants Not Producing Fruit
Tomato Plants Not Producing Fruit
🎉
🎄