Stretching Boxed Macaroni and Cheese

When cooking macaroni and cheese out of the box, add a couple handfuls of plain elbow noodles to the boiling water. Follow the directions on the box using dry milk and water as a substitute for regular milk (have a cup made up and ready for such purposes kept in the fridge). The sauce made following the box directions should still be enough, if not add a tiny touch more milk. This always gives me atleast one extra serving!

By Debbie Ryan from Ontario, Canada

More Tips:

Stretching Boxed Macaroni and Cheese

I was just thinking about that today at lunch time when I was making the mac and cheese. I always add a handful of dry shells to the Velveta shells and cheese to stretch it. (01/06/2006)

By Mominga

Stretching Boxed Macaroni and Cheese

I do the same with the Hamburger Helper types of mixes. With these, I add a cup of pasta and it works out fine.
(01/07/2006)

By 75043

Stretching Boxed Macaroni and Cheese

This trick also works with Rice-a-roni. I just add 1/2 cup of regular long-grain white rice, along with an extra cup of water. Tastes just as good! An added bonus: the same great taste with less salt! (01/07/2006)

By Barb

Stretching Boxed Macaroni and Cheese

I do the same thing with hamburger helper mixes and it works great. Now when I add it to the chilihelper I also add more chili spices and other spices when I make it.

Ziggee (01/07/2006)

By Ziggee

Stretching Boxed Macaroni and Cheese

Add ground beef (add salt, pepper, garlic powder), a can of drained corn and a can of cheddar cheese soup to your mac and cheese and it's like a homemade hamburger helper. (01/18/2006)

By Krissi

Stretching Boxed Macaroni and Cheese
Chicken Macaroni Salad
Chicken Macaroni Casserole Recipes
Nail Polish
Stretching Nail Polish
Macaroni and Cheese Recipes
Macaroni and Cheese Recipes
Ricotta cheese on fig leaves on white plate, with cheese knife.
Freezing Ricotta Cheese
🎄