Stuffed Cabbage Rolls (Galumpkis) Recipe

Category Main Dishes
folded stuffed leaf in pan
Seasoned rice stuffed, rolled cabbage leaves baked in a tomato based sauce are a delicious main dish choice. This page contains a stuffed cabbage rolls (galumpkis) recipe.

This is the orginal recipe of my Mom's, though she called them, "Galumpkis." I am not sure if this is a Greek or Polish recipe. It is so yummy!

Total Time: About an hour prep time, and 60 + time for cooking

Yield: 6-8 or more

Source: My Mom's cookbook "I use Zaterain's". Mom used long grain white rice.

I chopped the onion, garlic, pepper, celery and carrot with a food processor.

• 1 large head of cabbage
  • 1 small onion, chopped fine or minced
  • 1 small green pepper, chopped fine
  • 2 stalks of celery, chopped fine
  • 2 large cloves of garlic, chopped fine
  • 1 large carrot, chopped fine
  • 1-1/2 rare ground beef
  • 1 lb box of Zaterain's Dirty Rice mix
  • 2 sugar (this enhances the taste)
  • tsp seasonings to taste; season salt, black pepper, oregano, basil (I used fresh cut basil) start by using an 1/8 of a tespoonful. Then taste test.
  • 2 olive oil
  • 2 1/2 Tbsp water
  • 2 cups butter
  • 2 Tbsp (14 oz) stewed tomatoes, blended
  • 1 cans (14 oz) diced tomatoes

1. Put on a very large pot of hot water. Immerse the head of cabbage after removing the core in the middle. Boil until leaves start falling off. As leaves fall off, using tongs, take the leaves out and place them on a platter. repeat doing this until all the leaves have cooked off.
  2. In a large covered skillet brown the ground beef. If there is any fat, drain off. Add the onions, celery, peppers, garlic and carrot. Stirring well.
  3. Ad

4. Then add 2 1/2 cups of water, 2 tablspoons of butter, and the Zaterain's Dirty Rice mix, srirring it all well. Cover, reduce heat top simmer for 25 minutes. Remove from the heat, and remove the cover. Let this cool. Let the cabbage leaves cool. Before you go on to stuffing them.
  5. Cover the bottom of a 13x9 glass casserole dish with a layer of a can of diced tomatoes.
  6. Then proceed to take a cabbage leaf in the palm of your hand. Put a heaping tablespoonful of beef & rice mix in the middle. Roll the bottom up as you fold the sides in. Then you should have a roll.
  7. Ad

8. Roll the bottom up as you fold the sides in. Then you should have a roll.
  9. Ad

10. Place the roll with the smooth side up, and the rolled seam down. Continue on untill you have finished making all the rolls.
  11. Then you have all your blended stewed tomatoes, I added a bit of seasoning to this. A little sprinkle of black pepper, season salt, 1 teaspoon of sugar & fresh basil. When you are done stuffing each roll, top it off with the two cups of stewed tomatoes.
  12. Ad

13. Cover this dish with heavy duty foil and bake for 60 minutes at 350 degrees F. Let it stand for about 20 minutes before serving.

It seems every ethnic group has its own version and name for "cabbage rolls". My version called Halupki, (sp.) came from my Slovakian grandmother.

This recipe is not Polish. :) Golabki is not made with most of those ingredients.

Stuffed cabbage rolls seem to be popular with many different ethnic groups. I use a recipe I downloaded from a Polish web site. The only pre-cooking is boiling the leaves off the cabbage everything else is raw. I use instant rice raw mixed into raw 90% ground beef (1/3 c meat per roll) with my favorite seasonings & chopped onion & 1 can tomato sauce on top. Then rolled up & baked in the oven 1 hr. This is a great recipe if you're trying to loose weight because there's no salt added.

Your twist on this is very creative indeed - good for you! Why don't you call it "The American Glumpki?"