Substitute Powdered Milk Instead of Fresh When Cooking

Money is tight and milk is expensive! I have started using powdered milk in all of my recipes. I just mix enough for the recipe so nothing will go bad (and waste more money!) The kids don't like to drink powdered milk but can't tell the difference when I incorporate it into my baking and cooking. So a gallon of milk lasts twice as long now!

By Christine from Spanaway, WA

Answers:

Another good idea is to mix powered milk and regular milk 1/2 and 1/2. My mom used to get powdered milk as part of her state grocery allowance, and we never knew the difference... (03/24/2008)

By Tracy In NH

I also use powdered milk. When you buy it and use it right away, it's fresh. Make it up and drink it. It tastes the same as skim milk. Make sure it's good and cold before you drink it. We use it all the time when we run out of milk, but as I said you can't keep the dry milk. You need to use it.

I traded online for three cookbooks by JoAnna M. Lund. She suggests you use dry milk when you cook because you can add extra powder and make your dish have extra calcium. This is especially good if you have children who don't like to drink milk or people who have osteoporosis.

Thanks for your wonderful suggestion.

(03/25/2008)

By Carol in PA

Foremost makes or used to make a creamy instant milk called Milkman. That worked well if it was really chilled. I use dry milk for all milk applications except pastry cream and such. Mashed potatoes and cream gravies work just as well with instant milk. The half and half (instant and reg. seems to work best when the regular is full cream instead of 2%. (03/25/2008)

By tennesue

My dh can't stand powdered milk (so he says). I use it all the time in my baking. I also used it to make my sausage gravy for biscuits and gravy, and he said it was the best gravy he has ever had (go figure, lol). (03/26/2008)

By jmz2005

I use powdered milk for my homemade pancake recipe and they turn out so fluffy! Thanks everybody for all of these ideas! (10/15/2008)

By thiftymom

Use Dry Milk for Cooking
Powdered Milk
Powdered Milk Ice Cream Recipes
Making Diabetic Powdered Sugar (Sugar Free)
Collection of dried and canned foods including box of powdered milk.
Making Powdered Milk Taste Better
Powdered Milk
Using Powdered Milk
🎄