Substitutes for Canned Cream Soups

Category Substitutions
cans of soup
Adding a can of cream soup to recipes is a common shortcut, but can add unwanted fat and sodium. This guide is about substitutes for canned cream soups.

I have recipes that I use in which I used canned soups. The soup prices have skyrocketed. One of the soups is Campbell's French Onion which went from about $1.09 to $1.49. I refuse to pay those prices. Has anyone replaced canned soups with spices or other things in recipes?

Betty

Answers

I have not changed them out - but I have gone to swapping in the store brand where possible. In most cases the taste has been the same.

For other soups that don't come in store brand - like the cream of "whatever" that Campbells has, I usually stock up when I can hit a sale AND a coupon.

Whenever we have a chicken (fairly often) or turkey ettc.

I boil the carcass for several hours along with any leftover veggies in the fridge. Celert stumps, broccolli stems, ends of onions, etc.

Chill the broth and then seperate the meat bones and spent veggies.

What is left is a great broth that I freeze in old cottage cheese containers.

When I need broth or soup.... I go to the freezer!

To replace the onion soup just use the above broth only stew again with several onions (include the skins) That is what restaurants do.

Don't know where you are, but if you are near a WINCO

store they have onion soup mix in bins, also dried onions and great beef and chicken bases in bins which are worth their weight in gold for flavor. One Tablespoon of beef

base and 2 T of dried onions would work, plus maybe 1-2 cups water, depending on what you are using it for.

You can get similar products at wholesale cash and carry

sources for restaurants in most cities. Larger amounts but last a long time. The most important ingredients to sustitute for canned soups is the base. Onions, etc

can be added fresh...

In place of the cream soups you can use a heavy white sauce equal to the amount of soup. This is what we used before the convenience of cream soups.

For Tuna casseroles etc. you will find they are tastier made with white sauce..

Here is a recipe for a mix that can substitute for canned soups:

Cream-of-Whatever Soup Mix

2c powdered nonfat milk 3/4 c cornstarch 1/4 c instant chicken bouillon

2tb dried onion flakes 1 ts basil leaves 1 ts thyme leaves 1/2 ts pepper

To use in place of canned cream soups in casseroles or as a base for your own soups. Much lower in fat and salt than the canned versions. The trick is to have it made up ready to use! Combine all ingredients, mixing well. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.

To substitute for one can of condensed soup: Combine 1/3 cup of dry mix with 1 1/4 cups of cold water in a saucepan. Cook and stir until thickened. Add to casseroles as you would the canned product.

Makes equivalent of 9 cans of soup.

Variations

Mushroom Soup: Add 1/2 C finely chopped mushrooms

Celery Soup: Add 1/2 C minced celery

Potato Soup: Add 1 C diced potatoes, cooked

Vegetable Soup: Add 3/4 C mixed vegetables, cooked

Broccoli Soup: Add 1 C chopped broccoli, cooked

Asparagus Soup: Add 1 C chopped asparagus, cooked

I use Swanson Chicken broth for everything. They sell them now in larger sized boxes, it stores well in the fridge for numberous uses. You can creame it up, with a roux, or create a french onion soup as you mentioned with their beef broth, sautee sweet onions, add some sherry, worchester sauce, top with a nice bagette and cheese. Good brand, creates great recipies.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. You ladies (and possibly guys) are the greatest. So simple but I would never have thought of mixing dried onions with a beef base. That hint alone took care of one of my favorite recipes. I don't enjoy cooking all that much; it has to be quick and simple with few ingredients or I won't fool with it. Good thing I don't have a husband. I love Thriftyfun!

Here's a basc mix I keep on hand:

Canned cream soups are often used as a sauce in casseroles. A healthier substitute is this mix, which can be the basis for soups as well.

Healthy Casserole Sauce Mix

(Use instead of canned cream soup)

[Mix makes the equivalent of 9 cans condensed soup.]

2 cups nonfat dry milk powder

3/4 cup corn starch or clear gel

1/4 cup instant reduced sodium chicken or beef bouillon granules

1/2 teaspoon dried crushed basil (optional)

1/2 teaspoon dried crushed thyme (optional)

1/4 teaspoon ground white or black pepper

Combine ingredients. Store in an airtight container.

To prepare as a substitute for one can of condensed cream soup in recipes, stir together 1/3 cup dry mix and 1 1/4 cup water in a sauce pan or microwave cooking dish. Cook and stir until thickened. Chopped celery, or mushroom pieces or bits of broccoli can be added for soups.

A batch of the mix with a recipe tag as the gift card would be a wonderful holiday or hostess gift.

The last time I bought soups at Aldis, I believe the cream soups were .47 cents and the dry onion soup mixes were .49 cents for a box of two. Not as cheap as homemade, but still cheaper than name brand.

If you have a Target store. They have Campbell soup in their "Market " aisle. So far I have been able to get soup for 64 cents to $1.27 a can. My daughter said she was desperate for a can of Bean & Bacon soup to make tacos for her granddaughter and paid $1.89 for ONE can. I got it for 99 cents at Target...the next time it was $1.02 So just check out the prices and only buy it on sale.About twice a year Rite-aid & Longs drug store has a sale on soup,

2/$1.00. That's when I stock up for the year. Wal-Mart had tomato & chicken noodle last week for 64 cents a can. Watch the ads.GG Vi

I saw a recipe recently that used a can of cheddar soup. It's the only ingredient I need that I don't have and don't want to make a large pot of it to get the equivalent of one can of soup. Any suggestions?

Ms. Carmen from Visalia, CA

Try a little velvetta cheese.

vguy

I have used any can of cream of anything soup and added cheddar cheese. Also sometimes made cream sauce with cheese = cheese sauce. 1 to 2 cups will do. An easy way to do this is to put ingredients in a blender. Then heat cook in sauce pan. You may have to adjust the liquid added to your main recipe.

Campbells makes this soup in the smaller cans. You can also get Fiesta Cheddar for a real nice kick!

When the recipe calls for a can of soup it means to open the can, & put it in undiluted.

Campbells makes Cheddar Cheese soup and it;s available in most supermarkets. When recipes mention a can of cheddar cheese soup, they often have Campbells in mind. Make sure the recipe calls for condensed soup. If not, you'll need to dilute the soup with a can of milk (or water).

Alternatively, you can use the cheddar cheese powder from an easily-available box of Macaroni and Cheese. Just dilute as necessary.

Recipezaar has a recipe for Homemade Cream Style Soup Mix Substitute # 184827 which is great for can soup substitute. It makes 3 cups of dry mix and can be used for chicken, mushroom, and celery. Just add cheese for cheese soup, maybe a 1/2 cup. " For 1/2 a can, divide measurements in half." Good for smaller recipes. I keep this in my pantry all the time. My preference, but I like it better than the canned.

No cheddar cheese soup in your pantry ? Me either.

Make a white sauce, with milk and flour, then add a combination of Velveeta cheese, and mild cheddar cheese. A dash of salt, a little pepper. Stir until all the cheese is melted, and sauce is smooth.

I believe that a can of condensed soup is a bit over 10 oz. Then you add milk or water to the soup, to prepare it. ( dilute it ) The amount you add is another 10 oz. So that's about 20 oz of the soup/liquid mixture.

Maybe if you made 2 cups ( 16 oz) of the white sauce, with the added cheese, the recipe would come close to the taste the recipe intended.

Campbell's makes a great cheese soup. I use it instead of velveeta for nachos. They also make a nacho cheese soup that is great. Cheaper and works just as good.

Many thanks for all the info. I never had this kind of soup from a can but didn't want to run to the store for one item. I ended up using the "cream of anything" mix I had in the pantry and adding both Velveeta and some sharp cheddar to equal one can of soup. The recipe turned out great. ms. carmen

I need a recipe for "canned" creamed soups. I have to eat gluten free and no MSG. Thanks.

Cookie from Splendora, TX

I found these recipes already posted on thriftyfun

http://www.thri  1678626.tip.html

http://www.thri  f600368.tip.html

I need a recipe for a substitute for canned cream soup.

Nancy from Lancaster, PA

Answers:

Substitute for Canned Cream Soup

Cream soup,- I try not to use canned cream soups anymore. So I cook up approximately l cup of veggies in 1 cup of broth, chicken, beef, etc. Then I make a "cream" out of corn starch and/or flour adding a tbsp or so to a cup of liquid. Whichever "tickles" your fancy. I choose corn starch as it cooks up clear. I also do this to thicken the soups that I make from scratch. This is similar to gravy. No salt needed if broth is used. (10/21/2005)

By Eloise G.

Substitute for Canned Cream Soup

Homemade Cream of Soup Mix

Combine all ingredients and blend until mixed. Store in an airtight
container in a cool dry place for up to 1 year. This recipe makes 3
cups and is enough for 9 cans of soup.

To substitute for one can of condensed cream soup:
In a 1-quart saucepan or microwave safe bowl, combine 1/3 cup of soup
mix and 1 1/4 cup water.
Bring to a boil or microwave on high for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes, stirring
occasionally. This can also be used as a quick fat free gravy, thin to the
consistency you prefer.

Variations of Homemade Cream of Soup
BY: Leslie Sausage

The variations are endless, use your imagination and experiment with
different ingredients. For example, instead of thyme and basil, substitute 1 teaspoon dry
mustard and 1 teaspoon dill weed. You might like to add up to 1/4-teaspoon garlic powder to the dry
soup mix.

For another option: add a couple of tablespoons of any dried vegetable flakes to the dry soup mix.
OR:

Creamier Cream Soup--add 1 tablespoon of butter to any of the
variations:

Copyright - 1999 by Leslie Sausage

http://www.heart4home.net/ (10/22/2005)

By Christi

Substitute for Canned Cream Soup

I don't really care for the substitute recipes using dried milk. Here's mine that I made up. Just to warn you, it's not a make-ahead, throw-dinner-together recipe, but it is pretty fast.

Whisk eggs until thoroughly beaten. Add remaining ingredients, mixing well to avoid flour lumps.
Stir constantly while cooking with whisk to avoid curdling. Heat to boiling; then reduce heat to med-low and cook until thick like canned soup. Use in your favorite recipes. (01/21/2009)

By Rose

I'd like to know if anyone has a recipe substitute for cream of mushroom soup and/or dried onion soup. We need to watch our sodium and additive intake.

Thanks, Holly

Answers:

Cream Of Anything Soup

Basic Recipe:

Ingredients

• 2 1/2 cups milk
  • 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
  • dash salt
  • dash pepper

Directions

Put all 6 ingredients (the 5 above and whatever your "anything" ingredient is) into blender "briefly" until smooth and pour into saucepan. Stir constantly over medium-high heat until it begins to thicken (watch it! can scorch easily!). Take off heat at first bubble of a boil. To this basic mixture you add any of the following optional items:

(makes 4-6 servings)

Variations

• Cream Of Cauliflower: To basic mixture add 1 box (10 oz.) frozen cauliflower buds cooked per box directions until tender and well drained, 1/2 tsp. onion powder, 3 mashed chicken bouillon cubes, pinch dry parsley and a dash of garlic salt. Stir over lowest possible heat until piping hot. Serve at once.
  • Cream Of Celery Soup: Do just as cauliflower soup, but substitute 1 cup cooked, drained, diced celery instead of cauliflower. Add a pinch celery seed and a pinch dry, canned parsley flakes.
  • Cream Of Broccoli Soup: Add 1 box (10 oz.) frozen, chopped broccoli cooked per box directions and drained. Continue as in cauliflower soup.
  • Cream Of Cabbage Soup: Add 2 cups packaged supermarket slaw mixture cooked until tender in just enough water to cover. Drain well. Continue as in cauliflower soup.
  • Cream Of Potato Soup: Add 3 cans (1 lb. ea.) sliced, drained potatoes, 1/2 bottle (10 oz.) Hormel real bacon pieces and a dash of liquid smoke. Continue as in cauliflower soup.
  • Clam Chowder: Prepare the potato soup and add 1 can (10 oz.) un-drained minced clams and 2 thin slices of boiled ham snipped into (1/4 inch) bits.
  • Cream Of Corn Soup: To warm basic recipe, add 1 can (14 oz.) cream style corn, dash nutmeg and 1 tsp. dry minced onion. Heat through.
  • Cream Of Mushroom Soup: To warm basic recipe, add 1 can (8 oz.) drained, sliced mushrooms, dash onion salt and black pepper to taste. Heat through.
  • Cream Of Tomato Soup: To warm basic recipe, add 1 can (15 oz.) diced, un-drained tomatoes and return to blender briefly just to smooth it out. Heat through.
  • Cream Onion Soup: To warm basic soup, add 1 envelope dry onion soup mix and heat thoroughly.
  • Creamy Cheddar Soup: To prepared basic recipe, add 1 small jar (8 oz.) Cheez Whiz, stirring until melted and heated through.

By Sandra

Several Recipes

I found these in my files and hope they help.

Cream of Anything Soup

• 8 cups vegetables, such as carrots, broccoli and mushrooms, cut into 1/2" pieces
  • 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2" pieces
  • 1 onion, peeled and sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 t. salt
  • Freshly ground pepper to taste
  • 4 cups water
  • 2 cups milk
  • Snipped chives for garnish

In a large soup pot. Cook vegetables, potatoes, onion, garlic, salt and pepper in about 4 cups water until very tender, about 20-25 minutes. Spoon 1/4 of mixture into blender or food processor. Cover and blend until smooth. Repeat three times with remaining mixture until all is blended. Pour soup back in pot. Stir in milk. Heat through and ladle into bowls. Garnish with chives. Source unknown Serves 4 to 6

Cream-of-Whatever Soup Mix

• 2 c powdered nonfat milk
  • 3/4 c cornstarch
  • 1/4 c instant chicken bouillon
  • 2 tb dried onion flakes
  • 1 ts basil leaves
  • 1 ts thyme leaves
  • 1/2 ts pepper

To substitute for one can of condensed soup:

Combine 1/3 cup of dry mix with 1 1/4 cups of cold water in a saucepan. Cook and stir until thickened. Add to casseroles as you would the canned product.

Makes equivalent of 9 cans of soup.

Variations

• Mushroom Soup: Add 1/2 C finely chopped mushrooms
  • Celery Soup: Add 1/2 C minced celery
  • Potato Soup: Add 1 C diced potatoes, cooked
  • Vegetable Soup: Add 3/4 C mixed vegetables, cooked
  • Broccoli Soup: Add 1 C chopped broccoli, cooked
  • Asparagus Soup: Add 1 C chopped asparagus, cooked

Creamed Soup Base

This recipe is the equivalent to 1 10 2/4 oz can cream of chicken soup. The recipe may be doubled, but still use only 1 egg yolk.

• 1 1/2 C. chicken broth
  • 4 T. flour
  • 2 T. butter
  • 1 T. cream
  • 1 egg yolk

In a small saucepan, heat broth 10 minutes. Melt butter and stir in flour to make a roux. Whisk roux into broth. In a small bowl, blend together cream & egg yolk. Gradually add 1/4 c. of broth mixture. Pour contents of bowl into saucepan. Cook and stir for 10 minutes. Do not boil.

By eve

Substitute for Cream of Mushroom Soup

WOW! I am continually amazed by the information this website makes available. This is so helpful. Thanks Sandra, you are a dear. By the way, the main sauce made here is called a white sauce. It is fantastic on cooked carrots. Joan in CT

By Angellface

MYO (Make Your Own) Cream Soup Base

Maybe this will help, good luck!

• 2 cups non-fat powdered milk
  • 3/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup chicken or beef bouillon
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Combine all ingredients. Mix well. Store in airtight container. To prepare as substitute for one can of condensed cream soup in recipes, stir together 1/3 cup mix and 1 1/4 cups water in a saucepan or bowl. Cook and stir until thickened. This mix has about one-third the calories of canned condensed soup. You can add canned or fresh mushrooms, mixed or other vegetables to this.

By Leslie