Substituting Half and Half for Milk in Recipes

I'm making a banana cream pie. I only have half and half, not milk. Can I substitute this, and what ratio would I need to use to be equivalent to 3 cups milk?

By Sandra

Feedback:

Well, for example, in a mac and cheese recipe, I would use the exact same amount. The same for dessert-type recipes. Half and half will make any recipe much "richer tasting", and therefore, better in my opinion.

Suggestion; serve a bowl of sliced fresh peaches with half and half poured over them. This is an all-time favorite of my family for sure. (06/13/2010)

By rythumrat

You are going to have to use the same amount. (06/15/2010)

By T&T Grandma

You can probably cut back on the half and half and make up the difference with some water. That way, the consistency would be more like milk and not effect the consistency of your dessert. (06/15/2010)

By ahastings7878

Agree with ahastings7878. I think, specifically, I'd go with 2/3 half and half to 1/3 water, for your recipe, 2 cups of 1/2 and 1/2 and one cup water. (06/15/2010)

By PupperMom

Freezing Milk
Freezing Milk
Fat Free Cream Cheese
Substituting Fat Free Cream Cheese When Baking
Macaroni and Cheese
Cooking with Dairy Products
🎄