Substituting Tomato Paste for Tomato Sauce

Category Substitutions
White bowls of tomato paste, tomato sauce, and salsa setting on a background of tomatoes and red and green peppers
If you run out of tomato sauce you can substitute paste if you have that on hand. This is a guide about substituting tomato paste for tomato sauce.

How do I substitute tomato paste for tomato sauce?

Karen

Best Answer

I often make changes like that, primarily because you get a better-quality product when you do. Try using 1/2 water (or stock if you have any) and 1/2 tomato paste. Add a little Italian seasoning, i.e. basil, oregano, garlic, parsley and a bit of sugar. Start with 1/4 tsp. of each, taste your concoction and go from there. Most recipes are not so finicky that they would suffer from such a change, and the bonus is that there are no unpronounceable ingredients in your sauce. Good luck!

Best Answer

Tomato paste can be used by adding 2 cans of water. (6 ounce can, 12 ounces of water) This will make it have a more sauce like quality. It is not salted or seasoned. I add 1 tablespoon each of dried parsley, basil and oregano, 1 teaspoon each of salt and garlic powder. This is when I am making spaghetti sauce. When I am making chili, I just add it to the beans that already have the liquid in them. You really can add it to anything that you want to have a tomato flavor. Add small amounts of water until you get the consistency you want.

My chili recipe calls for 8oz of tomato sauce, but I only have a can of tomato paste. How can I substitute the paste for the sauce?

By L

This kind of imformation is very easy to find online. However, to answer your question: mix your can of tomato paste with an equivalent amount of water until well blended. That will make tomato sauce.

I would to know how to make tomato sauce out of tomato paste.

By Kathryn

Anonymous

Add 1 1/2 times of water to the paste. For example, 2 ounces of paste will make 5 ounces of tomato sauce.

If you are out of tomato sauce, how much tomato paste can be used in a recipe? Or should it?

Arsonhorse from Hammond, LA

Answers:

You can use 1/2 cup tomato paste mixed with 1/2 cup water as a substitute for the tomato sauce. You may need to adjust your seasoning if you usually use flavored sauce in the recipe. (11/15/2006)

By jean