Substitution for Brown Sugar

My recipe calls for light brown sugar. I have white sugar and molasses. Can I substitute these for the brown sugar? If so how much of each for 1 cup?

Best Answer

This is from the Huffington Post:

To make brown sugar you need one cup of white sugar and one tablespoon of molasses. Mix the two together  this job is faster if you use an electric mixer  until completely incorporated. Use it or store it  it doesn't matter, because you just made brown sugar.

It seems most cooks recommend using molasses with white sugar but I never have molasses so I have had to use maple syrup. This requires changing the recipe some but it has worked for me.

Check this site if you do not molasses:

https://www.lea  for-brown-sugar/

To make brown sugar you need one cup of white sugar and one tablespoon of molasses. Mix the two together  this job is faster if you use an electric mixer  until completely incorporated. Use it or store it  it doesn't matter, because you just made brown sugar. if you want dark brown sugar... use 2 tablespoons !!