Substitutions For Eggs

To bake egg-free, substitute the following for one to three eggs:

• 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 Tbsp. liquid
  • 1 Tbsp. vinegar

OR

• 1 tsp. yeast dissolved in 1/4 cup warm water

OR

• 1 1/2 Tbsp. water
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. oil
  • 1 tsp. baking powder

OR

• 1 packet unflavored gelatin
  • 2 Tbsp. warm water

Do not mix the items until ready to use.

By Terri from NV

Answers:

Substitute for Eggs in Baking

A great substitute for eggs in baking is 1 Tbsp. soy flour to 1 Tbsp. water. It is a lot cheaper per unit. The bag of soy flour was $3 and I get 105 "eggs" out of it which comes to .02 cents. Eggs (.99 where I live) are 8 cents each.

By Susie from Hammonton, NJ (02/20/2006)

By ThriftyFun

Request:

What is a substitution for eggs in recipes?

Answers:

Substitutions For Eggs

In response to the reader who suggested mayo in place of eggs: Please remember that most commercial mayos contain eggs. I have a friend who is severely allergic to eggs. If he were ever given something to eat he was told was free of eggs, yet contained mayo, he would quickly be on his way to the emergency room. Always check labels when allergies are involved. Check out mothernature.com for more information on egg allergies and substitutions.

By Karen (Guest Post)

Substitutions For Eggs

My middle daughter has a co-worker who is vegan. She's sort of made it her mission to include him in activities at work so that he can eat, too. Most of their co-workers think vegan food is weird when it's what we eat, just without meat and dairy. These are some wonderful egg substitutes, not just for vegans. I've used the first one many times with equal success.

• 1 whole egg = 2 tbsp water + 1 tbsp oil + 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 egg = 1 tbsp ground flax seed simmered in 3 tbsp water
  • 1 egg = 2 tbsp water + 2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 oz of soft tofu can be blended with some water and substituted for an egg to add consistency. Or try the same quantity of: mashed beans, mashed potatoes, or nut butters.
  • 1/2 mashed banana
  • 1/4 cup applesauce or pureed fruit

Post by: <userlink:thr378732>nagymom</userlink>

Substitutions For Eggs

There is a great product here in Canada called "Celimix". It is an egg replacer for baking only and is gluten and wheat free. I use it all the time successfully. Comes in a 500 gram yellow box. I'm not sure of availability in U.S.A., but the toll free number is: 1-866-989-0379.(Winnipeg, Manitoba)

By Marian (Guest Post)

Substitutions For Eggs

If you just need to eliminate the egg yolk due to cholesterol, but can eat the white, the formula is two egg whites= 1 egg. And by the way, Egg Beaters are egg whites.

By Sue (Guest Post)

Substitutions For Eggs

You can also use in place of eggs 1 tbsp golden sryup = 1 egg. My aunt told me this as she used this in the depression years when eggs were scarce. I have used this many times in vegan cakes.
So g'day to everyone.

By Glenda from Australia (08/16/2006)

By nimwe

Substitutions For Eggs

For baking you can also use 1/2 a mashed up banana, it gives a yummy banana flavor too, really good with brownies. (08/17/2006)

By Debbie

Substitutions For Eggs

If it is only egg yolk, that you are allergic to, feel free to use Low Fat Helmann's Mayo, which only contains egg whites. While it does not taste half as good as regular mayo, it is safe for those who can't eat egg yolks.
(08/20/2009)

By sunshineangel

empty egg carton
Substitution For Eggs in Recipes
Meatloaf with several slices ready to be served
Substitution for Eggs in Meatloaf
A woman pouring wine into a pan.
Substitutions for Wine in Recipes
Baking Recipes Without Eggs
Baking Recipes Without Eggs
Small Bowl of Imitation Bacon
Substitutions For Bacon
🎄