Substitutions for Milk

Category Substitutions
jug of milk
If your are lactose intolerant or simply out of milk there are some substitutions your can use in recipes. This is a guide about substitutions for milk.

Out of milk? Try powder coffee creamer!

I have used this lots of times, I can never keep milk at my house. Just put a cup of water in the microwave and heat the water up add the coffee creamer into it and use. I have used this in boxed mac and cheese, instant mashed potatoes and even scrambled eggs. It works great, my mac and cheese seems creamier than with milk. Just use equal parts of water and creamer. I have tried several brands they all work well, but my favorite is Wal-Mart's extra rich brand.

By angelbeth from Catlettsburg, KY

Yesterday, I made scrambled eggs with Greek yogurt. They tasted great and I didn't have to run out and get more milk.

I've recently found out I'm lactose intolerant. One of my greatest discoveries is all the ways I can use chicken, beef, or vegetable broth in place of milk: mashed potatoes, gravies, soups, omelets, "creamed" dishes, etc. I use low sodium chicken broth most often.

For mashed potatoes, I use chicken broth, soy or olive oil margarine, unflavored non-dairy creamer, pinch of salt, pepper and a dash of garlic powder. Even my picky husband likes them. For creamed dishes I'll use chicken broth and the creamer. The same for pancakes and biscuits.

Experiment; you'll find the amounts and combination you like. Broths and creamer are inexpensive if you buy store brands and stock up when they're on sale. Bonus: Helps in weight loss.

By Shirley from Sandusky, OH