Success Removing Crayon On Clothing

contest winner icon

I searched this thread and found this to be the most common successful formula for removing crayon from clothes after going through the washer/dryer, so thought I'd try it. I had red crayon on a whole load of clothes, dozens and dozens of spots. Since it was me and my son's fault, I had to deal with it, sparing my wife the extra work.

I used extra detergent (full cap Tide Free + full cap Tide Stain booster), plus borax (20 Mule Team, 1 cup), plus Oxiclean (4 scoops of the powder). I soaked the clothes for one hour on the hottest setting on our LG topload He machine, then used the heavy soil wash cycle.

Success! Got out 99% of the crayon with this approach. Found three remaining light spots which I'll try washing a second time, but the vast majority are completely gone. Nice!

My son cleaned the dryer drum with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Extra Power, which did the job well. I cleaned the filter with Soft Scrub as others had recommended, on a paper towel, with very hot water, and used a butter knife to wedge the towel into the small spaces. A bit of work, but also successful.

I appreciated the many suggestions here on ThriftyFun, and wanted to pass on what worked for me.

Don't give up, it can be done!

By Robbster from Ohio

I opened my dryer to discover a pink crayon had melted all over my dark clothing. I used the one capful of Tide, 1 cup of Borax, and three scoops of Oxyclean. Let the load soak in hottest water for one hour then washed.

All the clothes came out spotless! Thank you so much for the formula for what could have been such a horrible disaster!

Holy Crap, thank you, thank you, thank you. Your advice saved over $200 worth of clothes that we thought were ruined by crayons. Thank you again

Dave from Ohio

This works great to get sport eye black out of clothes that went through the dryer. I used Costco detergent and Oxiclean stain spray. Worked on all fabrics! Thanks for sharing.

I followed all of the steps above only with the detergent I have at home (Costco and oxiclean stain remover) and the borax, etc. and it worked all the types of fabric I had in the load. We had sport eye black in our dried load! Thanks for all the good tips.

Thank you, Robster. It totally worked. Got 98% of the melted crayon came off.