FlowersGardening

Sugar Ants Beneficial for Peony Blossoms

Here is my peony covered with sugar ants feasting. Although I don't like these guys crawling around my kitchen, their symbiotic relationship with peonies is well known. The peonies secrete a sweet nectar which you can see it in the picture. The little ants collect all the nectar, allowing the blossom to open easily.

If you cut the blossoms just before they open, you can wash or shake off the ants and allow it to bloom inside. This will prevent you from introducing the little pests to your home and allow you to enjoy every minute of these showy flowers. The buds should be soft and just starting to show color.

Wow I always wondered why there were so many ants on them. Thanks for the information.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Say, Jess, what is the deal with peonies and Mother's Day where you are? Where I am, it has been a long standing tradition to hope for peonies to be in bloom on Mother's Day. We do often get what we hoped for.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I never really thought about a connection between the two but they are always in bloom right about that time. There is a tulip/peony farm close to my neighborhood and they sell their cut peonies right about Mother's Day. :)

Reply Like this photo? Yes