Health InsuranceBudget & Finance

Supplemental Insurance Company Reviews

Does anyone have a recommendation for supplemental insurance companies? Hubby's company changed insurance companies and they do not cover much now! AARP has good plans if I were on Medicaid.

Thank you!

By Christie from Vincentown, NJ

Anonymous

I think you meant medicare not medicaid. At any rate, from what I understand about medical insurance no one here can really answer this question correctly for you without knowing your age, current healthcare plan and medical needs.

You really should just call at least a half dozens major medical insurance companies yourself. Their representatives will ask for your details and then offer an assortment of policies that will be right (personalized) for you. After you have all the quotes then make the choice of which one both you and your hubby feel most comfortable with.

I'm on medicare and have had a supplemental policy for 5 years. Every year I check for a cheaper policy and AARP is always higher. My supplement policy is NewEra.

When you say supplemental insurance, I think of Medicare supplemental insurance plans. And they are all the same across the board. For instance, if you have Plan F, then the coverage will be the same whether it's with Mutual of Omaha, NewEra, Medico, the company that AARP uses or whomever.

So if your supplemental insurance is through your husband's policy at work, it should be the same as all other supplemental insurance companies. The only time insurance coverage for Medicare recipients changes is if you have an Advantage plan. So, you might double check with your husband's insurance company, and it may be that their insurance clerk is not aware of this.

Now occasionally there will be supplemental insurance companies that offer eye and dental insurance, but these cost more and are really not part of the Medicare plan. Medicare does not cover eye and dental. If the supplemental insurance company wants to provide it at extra cost, they can, but most don't.