Surprise 50th Birthday Party

I am going to be throwing my mom a surprise 50th birthday party and need some ideas for food, favors, and games. Any suggestions?

By jterry80 from New Holland, PA

Answers:

Surprise 50th Birthday Party

Don't forget to print some of her school pictures and hang them all over the place. Try to find some old clothes like she would have worn in her day and put those out for all to see. Play her favorite old time songs. Buy stuff like for old people: Depends, Icy Hot, big size panties, Vicks Vapor Rub, Preparation H, and those slippers like the people in the nursing home wear.) At mine, everybody wore those sponge rollers in their hair and the guys wore rolled up jeans and t-shirts and slick hair. (09/03/2009)

By rforbes

Surprise 50th Birthday Party

We did a 50th anniversary party a few years ago and I am sure you can incorporate some of the ideas for a birthday. When I sent out the invites I asked people to either mail or email me some stories about my parents or pictures they had never seen, We did make a scrapbook of them over the years and had that out for people to look at. Included the stories in there and had blank pages for people to add to at the party. We had it in a very elegant place, but still had fun passing out candies and toys for the era when they got married, paddle balls, jacks, fortune telling fish, etc. We had old fashioned candies sprinkled around on the tables.

Mom and dad even had friends from grammar school come, so I went through her old pictures and had old pictures of everyone invited. I just scanned away and then we had an ongoing Power Point running the whole time with past and present pictures including the ones her friends sent. Everyone loved seeing themselves at a younger time and remembering old friends too. It brought a lot of tears to the eye. We gave out little wedding party favors with their wedding picture on it and it was also on their invitation. Although we had to consult mom and dad over the guest list we didn't let them know who was coming so there was the element of surprise. they cried the whole party. I am sure yours will be a blast. (09/04/2009)

By gaylem

Surprise 50th Birthday Party

Google "fake newspapers" and you will find a wealth of information on printing out what was happening when they were born. Just remember to order two, since they may want to hang up both sides of the paper when they are done getting a wonderful laugh out of the happenings during their first year of life. It's a hoot. (09/06/2009)

By Poor But Proud

Surprise 50th Birthday Party

For food, check with older relatives to see what was popular back then. Not sure how old these recipes are, but it gives you an idea what to look for: green bean casserole, tomato soup cake, jello poke cake.
What was one of her favorite dishes when she was growing up?

Decorations, what were her favorite games? If a board game, set one up on the main table. (09/06/2009)

By Coll3

Surprise 50th Birthday Party

A sign with the 50 and the 0 crossed out makes us feel young. Make all gifts and food for a 5 year old. Favorite candy, dolls etc. Gifts can be donated to Toys for Tots after the fun. Most of us don't want to feel older and enjoy being a kid again. Sharon (09/06/2009)

By nlmn

Surprise 50th Birthday Party

I organized a 50th for my husband a few years ago, with a 1960/70 theme, because that's when he was a youngster. Everyone dressed as hippies, punks etc. The cake had a hippy on it. All the music and dancing was 60/70s, with first lines of songs taped around the room. The highlight was burning a bra (they did a lot of that in the 60s) on a stick, out on the patio. Good times. (09/10/2009)

By English Doreen

Party Balloons
Surprise 50th Birthday Party Ideas
50th Anniversary Gift Box
50th Anniversary Gift Ideas
Surprise 16th Birthday Party
Surprise 16th Birthday Party Ideas
Unique 50th Birthday Party Ideas
50th Wedding Anniversary Party
50th Wedding Anniversary Party Ideas
🎄